Chapter 4

[Flame Contaminated City – Fuyuki / END]

{3rd Person POV}

The Defeat of Archer signalled the time for the Chaldeans to continue on and enter the treacherous tunnels. The director, the master, and servant trekked through the underground labyrinth, using Olga's magecraft as a sort of compass to guide them.

The way was paved with all sorts of problems. Poisonous insects, closed paths, narrow tunnels... The journey took them to an underground river, no doubt linked with the water bank back in the city...  The path became a bit calmer once they reached the river, and allowed the group to rest a bit before reaching their final destination.

Mash: ''Phew! I'm stuffed. I still can't believe you've had dried fruits with you all this time director. Your level of preparation is astonishing!''

Olga: ''I just happened to have them. Citrus is good against headaches... But more importantly-''

The director cut herself off, her eyes staying on her subordinate who still kept on eating the dried fruits the director packed for them. She seemed almost perplexed, as if she wanted to say something...

Rex: ''*Munch**Munch*... Hmm? Sup boss? I know my good looks are a bit distracting, but you don't have to stare so much''

Olga: ''That's NOT what I'm thinking about! Do you ever filter your weird thoughts?''

Rex: ''Nah chief. My filter broke years ago, and getting it fixed was a little too expensive so I never bothered''

The visible exasperation on her face was almost comical. But thankfully, the director kept better reigns on her temper. And for some reason, Olga felt a little more relaxed by her subordinate's nonchalant attitude. She'd gotten rather used to it.

Olga: ''No, it's just... Th-The work you've done has been passable. As the director of Chaldea, I have to give you credit where credit is due''

Rex: ''(............ Did I just get complimented?)''

Olga: ''Hmph. What's with that look? I am sure it's all a fluke but you are all we've got. What I'm saying is, keep up the hard work and I may praise you further. I know that even a third-rater can do first-rater work''

Romani: ''Whoa, admitting Rex did a solid job? She must have gotten her hands on something really sweet...''

Olga: ''Romani... If you've got time to flap your gums, you must have the time to send Rex a supply or two. It wouldn't feel right to me if someone failed because they were ill equipped. Especially when they've just been doing their best''

Romani: ''What's this? Wouldn't feel right? How kind of you director. Has your heart finally begun to open up?''

Olga: ''Y-YOU!... It's not like that at all!''

Romani: ''Ahh, I never get tired of watching young folk interact.  But then again, when it comes to age director, your kind of...''

Mash: ''Is that right? The director is certainly older, but I feel like me and the director have similar tastes. I feel a sort of kinship with her''

Olga: ''What are you two blabbering on a bout?! I told you all before that you're all just tools to me! TOOLS!''

???: ''Mm, mhmm''

Olga: ''There, see? Even the shadowy monster like thing agrees with me! I-... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH''

The realisation hit Olga harder than taxes hits a middle aged man, which made her scream louder than a fire alarm. The master knew that a guest had joined them but decided to stay quiet and watch Olga lose like eight years of her lifespan.