She smiled. "It was my pleasure. And in more ways than one, I can tell you. I've had a wonderful time, Edwyn."

"So have I," he replied.

"There is one thing, though," Aerith said as she finally let go. Then she picked up a brush and started working on her hair. "I'd like to keep this just between us for now. Don't tell anyone, okay?"

Edwyn blinked. "Why not?"

"It's complicated," she went on. "For one thing, I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about us, Edwyn. That it was only a meaningless fling and nothing more. You and I know it isn't like that, and normally I wouldn't care what other people, think, but..."

"But what?" he asked.

Aerith sighed. "Once I leave, I don't know when I'll be back. And if the people here know that I spent the night with you and then left, they might think I was taking advantage of you for a little fun before tossing you aside. Or that you made a move on me for the same reason. Either way, it could cause you a lot of problems if rumors start flying around, and I don't want that. I care about you, Edwyn."

He nodded. "I get that. And I'm well aware that you can't stay here, much as it would please me. But when you do come back, I'd like to see where things go between us, if you're willing."

"I... I think I'd like that," she agreed, trying to keep the tremor out of her voice. She paused in the midst of brushing her hair and gazed at him. "Last night wasn't a fling for me, Edwyn. It meant a lot to me, and I really like you. I just... wanted you to know that."

Edwyn leaned in and planted a soft kiss on her lips. "Thank you. It meant a great deal to me, too, Aerith. I like you a lot... and if you want this to be private, that's fine. I understand. And I appreciate you trying to look out for me... for both of us, really."

She drew him into a hug. "You're welcome."

There was another reason why Aerith wanted to keep her romantic involvement with Edwyn a secret, though. One she couldn't tell him. If the dark fate that she sensed lay ahead of her couldn't be changed, then she wouldn't be coming back. She hoped she was wrong, that this time it would be different, but if it wasn't, then she felt that the fewer people who knew about her and Edwyn, the better. It would be easier for him that way. His men needed him to be strong, especially with Shinra sure to try and take the fort again sooner or later.

As for her friends, Aerith decided it would be best to keep them in the dark as well. Jessie and Tifa would certainly be happy for her if they knew, but they might also ask questions that she didn't feel comfortable answering. Such as why she'd spent the night with a man she'd only just met a day or two ago and wouldn't see again for weeks or months after she left. The answer was simple, really—she didn't know for sure if the planet would let her escape her destined fate, so this might be her only chance to be with him. And she meant to take it.

After she and Edwyn had finished getting dressed, Aerith carefully twisted her hair back into its normal braid, fastening it snugly in place with her pink bow and special materia. Edwyn saw her carefully tuck it in the middle just above the band but didn't ask her about it, respecting her privacy instead. She rewarded him with a small, grateful smile, and although she wouldn't have minded if he'd mentioned it—her little orb was very different from other materia—his care and consideration for her and her boundaries touched her deeply.

She'd sewn a little pocket there for her materia many years ago, and the bottom half fit snugly inside, leaving the top half of the milky white orb visible in between the two wide petals of her bow at the very top of her braid. Once it was firmly in place and she'd finished helping Edwyn make the bed, Aerith sat contentedly with him on the side. Her fingers clasped his, and before long, their lips met again.