Chapter 47

If you like the story, please consider giving it a vote! Thanks! A.L. 

We pulled into Logan's driveway, and I sat in the backseat, staring at his house. His house was a pretty pale yellow, with white trim around the door and windows and five white columns. Nothing bad could ever happen in such a happy-looking house. Logan climbed out of his truck and ran up the four steps to his porch and inside his house. He returned within a few minutes, bringing three bottles of water. He handed them to Austin, walked around his truck, opened the passenger door for Sadie, and opened the door for Jules. Austin had put the water in his car and opened the door for me, offering his hand. 

"Logan told me your dad called your phone. Why did you answer it?" He hugged me tight. 

I rested my head against his chest, letting his heartbeat soothe me. "I thought it was you calling, so I didn't bother to look at the number before I answered it." I turned my head, inhaling his cologne. I flinched, closing my eyes tighter when I heard the roar of an engine quickly approaching us from down the road. 

"What the hell does he want?" Austin asked, dropping his arms from around me. "Rylee, go up on the porch with Sadie now. Go!" Austin shoved me behind him. Sadie grabbed my hand and yanked me through the gate as we sprinted toward the porch. 

"Hayes! I told you I'd catch you off guard one day!" Blake yelled out his truck window. Blake's friends jumped out of the truck as Blake opened his door. "You can't run from me anymore, and the two of you can't take on all of us either. So, I'd say today isn't your lucky day, asshole." Blake walked closer to Austin; the bruises under his eyes were much darker than mine, and there was tape across his nose. 

"Blake, as much as I'd love to kick your ass right now, we've got to leave. Unless you want punched in the nose again, I suggest you get your ass back in your truck and get the fuck out of here." Austin threatened, motioning to Blake's black truck. 

"Like I said before, Hayes. You're outnumbered today. Your threats don't mean shit!" Blake motioned his friends to move closer around Austin and Logan. The four split up; two moved closer to Logan while the other two closed the gap between them and Austin. 

I wrapped my arm around the column, leaning against the rail so I wouldn't freak Sadie out by grabbing her hand or arm. I stood on the porch, watching it all unfold, not knowing what would happen. I knew I couldn't stand by and let Austin and Logan get their asses kicked for something I did. But, then again, I was the reason they were in this situation. I glanced over at Sadie, who was gripping the rail, her eyes locked on Logan and the two guys who were getting ready to jump him. The two standing before Logan were about an inch shorter than him; their arms weren't as defined and muscular. One had short blonde hair spiked in the front, and the other had light brown hair buzzed on the sides and back and a little curly on top. All I knew was I couldn't let them try and fight Blake's friends. I let go of the column and ran down the steps toward Austin's car; I couldn't get there fast enough. It felt like I was in one of those dreams where you go to run, but you aren't going anywhere; everything is in slow motion kinda thing. 

I flung Austin's backdoor open and stared at the bags in the backseat, unsure exactly what I was searching for. Jules was sitting on the other side of everything, staring at me with her phone. 

"Rylee, what's going on?" She asked wide-eyed. "Who is that guy with the black eyes? And who broke his nose?" She turned to look out the window. 

"I did." I started shuffling stuff around. 

"What?" She dropped her phone on the floorboard. "You? You broke that guy's nose?" She motioned her thumb toward the window. 

"Yeah. I punched him in the face." I kept moving bags, trying to figure out exactly what I was looking for. "Now, they're about to jump Austin and Logan because of me." I stopped talking when my hand grabbed my makeup bag, and I just stared at it. I had no idea what on earth could be in my makeup bag that could help them. I opened it up and saw my makeup wipes resting against the side of my bag, whispering for me to grab them. I grabbed the wipes, opened them, and started removing my makeup. I could see the horror in Jules's eyes as I wiped away the makeup from my eye, exposing the truth that I'd been trying to hide for so long. Jules stared at me as tears started to trickle down her cheeks. 

"Don't, Rylee," she whispered, placing her hand on mine. 

"I have to." I squeezed her hand, then stood up. "Blake!" I hollered, stepping away from the car. "You looking for me? Well...Here I am." I held my arms out to the side with my palms up. I kept my eyes on Blake because I knew the minute I saw Austin's eyes, I'd buckle, unable to keep up the facade of being this strong teenage girl. Blake's mouth fell open when his eyes shifted from Austin over to me. Blake didn't say anything for a few minutes as I moved closer to him. "Blake, we need to leave now. Please let us go." I lowered my arms. 

Before I could say another word, Blake lunged at Austin and grabbed his shirt. "You fucking hit her?" He pulled Austin up off the ground a couple of inches. "I'm a dick, and I don't even hit girls! You deserve to have your ass beat." 

"STOP!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. "He didn't hit me." I grabbed Blake's arm, trying to get him to let go of Austin. "Will you listen to me!" I tugged on Blake's arm, trying to get his attention. "Look at me!" 

"Why are you defending this asshole?" Blake grabbed Austin's shirt tighter, not taking his eyes off him. "I don't get why you girls stay with guys that beat on you." Blake clenched his jaw. 

"Why won't you listen to me?" I threw my hands up in the air. I got behind Austin, trying to peek over his shoulder at Blake so he'd have to look at me, but Austin was too far off the ground. I moved to the right of Austin. "Look at me!" Austin flinched. "Sorry." I grabbed Blake's right arm. "Look. At. Me." 

"What?" His angered eyes flashed over to mine; his lips pressed together. 

"He didn't do this to me...My father did. Austin's helping me get away from him, and you're stopping him from doing just that. The longer you keep us here, the chances are he'll find me." The anger in Blake's eyes started to soften slightly, and his arm muscles relaxed. 

His eyes shifted back to Austin. "Is she telling the truth, Hayes?" 

"She's telling the truth! Let him go!" Jules hollered, getting out of the car. 

"Who the hell is that?" Blake asked, letting Austin's heels touch the ground. 

"That's Rylee's younger sister." Austin jerked out of Blake's grasp. "I can't believe you thought I'd hit Rylee. Fuck you! I ought to kick your ass for even thinking that!" Austin shoved Blake. His friends jumped out of the truck and were at Blake's side within minutes. Blake told them it was fine and to back away.   

I walked over to Jules and hugged her. I kept my eyes on Blake and his friends, still gathered around Austin and Logan. Blake ran his hand through his hair, then motioned his hand toward his truck and told his friends to get back in it. They started to ask why when he told them again to get in the damn truck. Blake walked over to Jules and me and stared at us for a few minutes. 

"Rylee, you better get going." His voice was low. "I don't want your dad to find you." 

"Thank you, Blake." I let go of Jules and motioned her to get back in the car. Jules hesitated, grabbing my makeup bag. I told her to get in the car again, walking around to the passenger side door. 

"Rylee, you can't go anywhere looking like that." Jules pointed to her eye. "Sadie, could you help me with Rylee's makeup real quick? Austin, how about if you leave for thirty minutes in case Dad happens to drive past here?" Jules took my hand and started pulling me toward the house. 

"I'm not leaving you two here." He started to follow us toward the house. 

"Austin, she's right. You need to go. The girls will be fine here at the house with me. If her dad drives by and sees your car here, you know he'll stop. Do you want that?" Logan said, pointing back at me. 

Austin shook his head, then turned and walked back to his car, getting in the driver's seat. He pulled out of the driveway and took off down the road. I stood there and watched him driveway, scared that he wouldn't come back for us for some reason.