Chapter 14

I made it home in plenty of time before Dad got home from work. Jules was sitting in the kitchen at the table doing her homework. She never liked being in her room when no one was home. But, honestly, I didn't blame her because I was the same exact way. 

"Did you get something to eat?" I asked, walking over to the cabinet and grabbing a glass. 

"Yes. I helped Evie clean up; then they brought me home," Jules said, not taking her eyes off her homework. 

"Okay...But you got something to eat?" I mumbled, getting the pitcher of tea out of the refrigerator. 

"What? Didn't you hear anything I just told you?" 

"Huh?" I took a drink. 

"Rylee, are you okay? You aren't acting like yourself." 

"What? Did you say something?" I asked, setting my glass down on the counter. 

"What the hell is going on with you?" Jules's eyes widened as she dropped her pencil down on the table. 

I didn't want to tell her the truth that I was thinking about Austin brushing a piece of hair off my face. I knew I was reading too much into the gesture, and he meant nothing by it. He's dating Taylor, so why would he be interested in me, of all people? I'm just the nerd who's tutoring him so he doesn't fail Math and gets kicked off the football team. Besides, Jules wouldn't understand what I'm going through; she's never had this problem with boys. All she has to do is look at them a few times, and they are flocking at her feet, willing to do whatever she wants. 

"Something happened after school today?" She got up from her chair and walked over to the counter. 

"What? No, nothing happened today." I glanced at her, then quickly took a drink, trying to avoid eye contact. 

"Something did happen; I can tell by the look on your face." She leaned closer, trying to get me to look her in the eyes. "Either you can tell me now before Dad gets home, or you can tell me when he's here. It's your choice." She smirked, walking back over to her seat at the kitchen table. 

She knew I hated talking to her about things whenever Dad was around. "Fine." I sighed, walking over to the table. I sat there and told her everything about what happened at Coffee Oasis and how Taylor tried to start something with me the minute I walked into the building, but Austin told her to stop. I got up from my seat and walked over to the refrigerator to get something to eat. 

"And that's all that happened?" 

"Yeah, why?" I asked, still looking for something to eat. 

"You're such a liar!" 

I set the ham and cheese down on the counter. "I'm not lying. That's what happened." I turned around to get a plate out of the cabinet. 

Jules proceeded to tell me she heard that wasn't all that happened and that Taylor is pretty pissed at Austin about it too. I told her that I had no idea what the hell she was talking about as I stood there and made my sandwich. She started to get up from her chair when her phone chimed, and her eyes widened. "Oh my god! Now, I know something definitely happened. What aren't you telling me?" 

"I told you everything!" I took a bite of my ham sandwich. 

"The hell you did!" Jules got up from her chair again and walked over to the counter, shoving her phone in my face. I had to move my head back to see the screen; I wish I hadn't. There in big, bold letters on the screen spelled out...Austin broke up with Taylor. I stood there staring at the text from Evie to Jules, unable to move my eyes away from it. Surely, it wasn't because of me. I didn't do anything. Then, panic began to set in because I'd have to face Taylor tomorrow in English. My heart was pounding so hard that it was echoing in my ears. It sounded like someone beating on one of those huge drums. 

"You going to tell me what really happened?" She pulled her phone away. 

I blinked my eyes. "I did already." I slung my book bag over my shoulder and grabbed my plate and glass. "I told you everything. Nothing happened." I turned and headed upstairs before Dad came home. And also before my phone started blowing up. I didn't need her leaning over my shoulder, wanting to read my texts from Cole and Sophie. And I wasn't even halfway up the stairs before my phone started chiming with notifications. I assumed it was texts from Sophie wanting to know what happened between Austin and Taylor as if I'd know more than her. I pushed my partly closed door open with my foot, set my drink and plate down on my nightstand, then softly tossed my book bag onto my bed. I grabbed my phone out of my book bag, and sure enough, there were five text messages from Sophie wanting to know what the hell was going on and why wasn't I texting her back. I sent her a quick text back, letting her know that I had no idea what was going on and that I wasn't ignoring her messages.

 The next thing I knew, Cole started blowing up my phone, asking if Austin would ask me out. I quickly shut him down by telling him there was no way in hell Austin would ask someone like me out. I loved my friends for thinking that someone like Austin could fall for someone like me, but I knew better. Stuff like that only happened in the movies. In the real world, the pretty, popular girls got the good-looking guys, while the nerdy girls like me wished they were with the hot-looking guys. We texted back and forth for about forty-five minutes; then, I told them I had to finish my homework before my dad got home. I didn't need him to get onto me for not having my homework done. So, I hurried up and changed into a pair of leggings and a T-shirt, so I could jump into bed when he came home. The less I talked to him, the better off it was for me in the long run. Tonight I needed to avoid him as much as possible because I had more important things to worry about, like English class tomorrow with Taylor. 

                                                                                    *****       

  I lay there for a few minutes the next morning, trying to figure out if Dad had already left for work or if he was lingering downstairs in the kitchen. I slid out of bed, tiptoed to the door, and eased it open. I stuck my head out into the hall, straining to hear any noise coming from anywhere else in the house. I also knew I had to get my shower before Jules woke up. The bathroom door looked farther away than normal. I took a deep breath in and quickly went down the hall to the bathroom Jules and I shared. 

"Morning, Jules," I said, opening the bathroom door to return to my room to finish getting ready for school. 

"Morning." She yawned, walking past me. "Oh, don't worry about Dad being downstairs. He left last night after he packed a suitcase. He said something about being gone for a couple of weeks on a trip and gave me money for us to get food and whatnot." She closed the door. 

I stood there speechless, staring at the white door. I didn't know whether to be happy or worried that he had just up and left us alone for two weeks. Part of me was jumping up and down for joy because I didn't have to tiptoe around the house for the next two weeks. 

Author's Notes:

Something big is about to happen. I can feel it. What do you think? 

If you like this chapter, please consider giving it a vote. Thanks! A.L.