Chapter 13

The one day I wished school would drag on forever, it flew by so fast. Now, I had to meet Austin and Taylor at Coffee Oasis to help him with Math, so he'll pass the test on Friday—Sophie's right; not one of my brighter ideas, agreeing to meet them there today. I went to my locker to switch out my books, trying to drag out time as much as possible before meeting Austin and Taylor. I knew he was waiting for me to get there so we could start on Math, but I didn't want to have to put up with Taylor. I closed my locker and headed toward the school's front doors because I couldn't put off leaving any longer. 

"Rylee, do you want me to go with you?" Sophie asked, walking up behind me. 

"No. Thanks, though. I need to do this alone. I'll text you if I need to vent, so keep your phone close by." I waved to her as I headed off in the direction of my car. I knew if I stopped and talked for long, I'd never go to Coffee Oasis and end up getting in trouble with Miss Jensen. So I tossed my book bag in the passenger seat, started my car, and then sent Jules a quick text to make sure she was with her friend Evie before I left school. I tried not to think about the consequences if she wasn't with her and I had left school. She texted me back, telling me she was with Evie and that they would bring her home around six tonight after dinner. I sat there for a few minutes, watching kids walk past, talking and laughing with their friends; some were kissing their boyfriends goodbye. I looked down at the clock on my dashboard and pulled out of my parking spot, realizing I'd wasted enough time. I found a parking spot close to Downtown Mall, grabbed my bookbag, and walked to Coffee Oasis. I had a few minutes to come up with a convincing lie about why I was fifteen minutes late. 

"Hey, Rylee!" 

I turned around to see Sophie and Cole walking up behind me. I was never so happy to see them. "Hey, what are you two doing here?" I smiled. 

"Well, we figured you could use some backup even though you said you didn't need any." Sophie smiled. 

"Thanks." I smiled. "I should probably head in there before Taylor comes out here screaming at me." I walked over to the door, and I could see Taylor bitching at Austin. I opened the door, smiled, and headed to their table. 

"You're late." Taylor pointed out before I could say anything. 

I stood there for a few seconds, trying to remember what I was going to say before she started in on me, but all I could say was sorry, which didn't help the situation. Taylor's eyes narrowed even more as she jumped up from her seat next to Austin and yelled at me about how I should've been here fifteen minutes ago. I tried to apologize again that I lost track of time because I got to talking to Sophie and Cole at school. 

"Taylor, that's enough. She said she was sorry," Austin's voice was stern. 

Taylor's eyes flashed down at Austin. "Why are you sticking up for Duckface?" She demanded. 

My eyes widened, and my mouth hit the floor as I stared in shock at Taylor for what she said. Did Austin tell her my nickname? I stood there in horror as eyes gazed over at us, and I could've sworn I heard hints of laughter. "What did you call me?" I managed to get the words out. 

"Duckface. Like you were going to be able to hide it forever." She pressed her lips together. "Did you really think your little makeover would hide who you are underneath? I knew who you were the minute you walked into English class, but I decided to let you play dress-up." 

"Enough, Taylor!" Austin demanded. 

"She's been flirting with you, trying to steal you away from me. I'm not going to let her get away with it."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Austin raised an eyebrow. "She hasn't been flirting with me; Rylee's been helping me with my Math. I've told you this over and over again. You obviously don't trust me." He got up from his seat. 

"I do trust you. I don't trust her." Taylor's eyes flashed to me quickly, then back to Austin. "She's been flirting with you." She glared at me again. 

"Taylor, she's not. Why don't you go shopping with your friends, and I'll call you later." He looked over by the door. "They're waiting on you." He gave her a quick kiss. 

She stood there for a few minutes, swapping glances between her friends and Austin, before finally agreeing to go with her friends. However, I could tell she didn't want to leave Austin there with me by the way she lingered around for another five to ten minutes. What did she think I would do, jump him right there in the middle of a crowded coffee shop? Then again, it wasn't a bad idea, but I'd never dreamed of doing that. 

"Taylor, Rylee doesn't have much time to help me," Austin said. 

She glared over at me, then kissed Austin. "Call me later." She picked up her purse and walked over to her friends, who were now at the counter ordering drinks. She kept glancing over her shoulder every few seconds back at us. I don't know what she was expecting to see. I wasn't dumb enough to throw myself at Austin with her ten feet away. Not saying that I wouldn't want to throw myself at him, but why would he want me when he's got someone like Taylor? She's beautiful, not to mention a raging bitch, who is hell-bent on making my life miserable. 

"Just ignore Taylor," Austin whispered. 

I peeked over at him as I reached into my bookbag to grab my Math book and notebook. It was easy for him to ignore her because he was not the one who had to deal with her hatred. But I couldn't understand why he would tell me to ignore her either; she's his girlfriend. 

"Austin, don't forget to call me later," Taylor said, walking past us with her friends. 

"Sorry about that, Rylee." Austin looked toward the door. 

"About what? Taylor?"

"Well, yeah. She shouldn't have called you out like that." He turned to face me, his eyes filled with remorse. 

"There will always be someone who thinks it's okay to drag another person down. Do I like being called Duckface? No, but what can I do about it? The best thing I can do is ignore it. The more I ignore it, maybe they will see it doesn't bother me and stop." I shrugged. 

"You know it doesn't happen that way, though." His eyes flashed back to the door as if he expected Taylor to come flying through the door. 

"I know, but it's the best I can do for now." 

"How do you do that?" He asked. 

"Do what?" I turned, looking puzzled. 

He got out of his seat and moved closer to me. "Able to forgive people for what they say to you? If some guy had done something like that to me, I'd have punched him in the damn face." His eyes stayed focused on mine as if he was trying to read them for some kind of answer. Then, without saying another word, he moved a piece of my hair. The warmth of his touch against my cheek sent an electric charge through my body, causing me to flinch. "You had a piece of hair stuck..." He lowered his hand.

 I looked into his deep brown eyes, trying to keep my thoughts together because being close to him was driving me crazy. "I didn't forgive Taylor. I just chose not to let it bother me for the time being, is all." I turned and continued to walk toward the counter. 

Author's Notes:

Wow...Something is definitely starting to happen between Rylee and Austin. What do you think? 

If you like this chapter, please consider giving it a vote. Thanks! A.L.