Chapter 19

A note floating down as smooth as a feather caught by a gentle breeze, settling with a crinkle at her booted feet. Eyebrow lifting, Gwen bent over. Her leather pants squeaked as she straightened.

She stared unblinking at the two words. Short and to the point. Very Azriel: Sevenda's tonight?

Cassian's words lingered with her throughout the night. Had her tossing and twisting beneath scratchy sheets until she unceremoniously knocked them to the floor. The combined seasonal heat and her restlessness made the evening downright suffocating.

Concern gnawed away her slumber. Gwyn overheard whispers of the Court of Nightmares. Even picked up rumors of their deadly Spymaster. But she'd never put together the dreaded, most feared Spymaster and Azriel were the same.

No. The male she knew? He'd cut down anyone who would harm his High Lord or Lady. Wronged his family. Gwyn had witnessed him firsthand. When Azriel had swept in on wings of death, rescuing her from a cruel fate. But torture?

Gwyn cracked her neck with a twist.

Though sleep evaded her last night, she didn't have the heart to work out any midnight training. Not without Azriel. Not when something was awry. Powerless to help.

She scanned the note she still held, viewing the page as if the message would magically change any second.

"Sevenda's tonight?"

She closed her eyes, sighing out through her nose before she tipped her head up. Cassian stood towering and solid behind her, studying the writing over her left shoulder. His chin jutted to the parchment she carried. "From Az?"

Gwyn nodded, acknowledging, "Yes. Delivered as I shuffled in."

"Date night?" He teased, even though no playfulness glinted in his gaze. "You going, Berdara?"

As if summoned forth by a higher force, a fountain pen dropped to the dining room table. Biting her lower lip, she stepped over. She viewed the pen as one would a coiled viper, fixed to strike at any sudden movement. Slowly, she took the implement off the dark wooden surface.

"I'm surprised," Cassian said, leaning his backside against the edge of the dinner table. He crossed his arms over his broad chest. "He normally brushes everyone off for days."

Gwyn's brows shot up as she peered back to him. "I thought you said he'd be all right by today?"

"I just pulled that out of my hopeful ass. Usually, Rhys gives Az days off to..." A hesitation, his eyes drifting, hunting for the appropriate words. "Adjust. I counted on him being different with you. For you." His view slid to the paper clenched in her grasp. "That right there? Proof he's different with you. Hell, some days he'd be back in Velaris and we'd never know until he was ready. Could be a full week later. But this?" A soft smile. "He cares enough to not upset you. He cares for you, Gwyn. And no one is happier for my prick of a brother than me."

Her cheeks heated. She wrote a bold Yes . adding, Can't wait before the note faded into the ether. "I care about him too," she admitted, her smile slipping a bit. She tugged at the neckline of her leathers. Then checked to make sure her dagger was still on her thigh. "Is it true?"

Cassian's black eyebrows went up as he straightened to his full, imposing height. "Is what true, Berdara?"

"What he does as...the Spymaster?"

Cassian's eyes hardened as he ran his fingers through his long hair. She noted many knicks on his muscular forearms. Numerous pale slashes sketched into the darkened membrane of his wings. "We've all done things that stay with us. For the people of our Court. For Prythian. For our family." He shook his head. Flashes of memories shadowed his features. "That's all I'll say. Not my rank to comment on his duty."