She has a couple of notifications. Mainly apps I've never even seen before. Wait, there's an app for Sudoku? I don't get how that's even a game. I get chess but Sudoku feels more like homework to me. But hey, if she likes it.

I may not know her password but I can open her camera. I take a couple of selfies for her before I put the phone back. Then I get up.

My closet is already a mess and I don't even really live here. Oh well. I take a clean shirt and throw it on on my way downstairs. I follow the delicious smell of eggs and rice and end up in the kitchen.

"Good morning," mom says all smiley.

"Morning," I smile back. She's making furikake.

"Can you hand me the salt?" While I'm doing her a favor, she starts to bash on me. "You look feral, you should brush your hair after you get up."

"I just got out of bed. Who's gonna see me?"

"Grandmother."

"She's seen me more feral than this," I laugh.

Mom hands me a cup of green tea. "Give this to her, will you?"

"Should I bring her some food too?"

"She has already eaten."

"Are we not eating together today?" I ask.

"I have to run some errands in the city."

"Need any help with the errands? I can go to the city for you."

"It's alright, thank you. You just enjoy the day with your sister and your girlfriend."

"Well, we're probably gonna go downtown anyway. Write me a list and we'll stop at a convenient store on the way back."

She smiles and nods. I balance the tea and walk to the living room. Obachan is usually sitting there, where else could she be?

"Mom? Where's Grandma?" I ask her loud enough to hear me from the living room.

"Outside."

I head to the backyard. It's already so humid outside even though the sun is barely up. I spot Grandma sitting on the ground by the little garden area. She's praying.

"Obachan," I announce my presence.

She opens her eyes with a smile. "Rinku."

"Sorry, I hope I didn't interrupt."

"Not at all."

"I have sencha for you," I gesture at the tea in my hands.

"I am happy to see you are finally up and going."

"You make it sound like I slept all day. It's 7 AM."

"You should always begin your day in perfect harmony with nature, with the rising sun as your cue to awaken. As you take in the tranquil ambiance of the early morning, you're greeted by the first chirps of the day – a melodious symphony that sets a peaceful tone for the day ahead. There's something truly special about being awakened by the sounds of nature, and it's the perfect way to start a day filled with serenity and tranquility."

I just nod and hand her the cup.

She tries to roll her eyes at me but I beat her to it. "Hey, at least I'm up early."

"You used to get up before the sun had risen."

"Yeah and I'm glad that's over."

"Over?"

Shit.

"How is your sports career going anyway?" She asks. "Are you still fencing? Are you still competing? I haven't seen you train in many years."