Chapter 19:

The stress of the news about the fire at the Hunting Lodge delayed Melekşima's recovery by a day, Sümbal Agha had informed her that the Princess was safe and currently being hosted at Hatice Sultan's palace, but sadly her handmaiden Carina had perished in the fire; investigation lead to believe that the fire started due to the commotion of a snake found in the Princess's room, Prince Friedrich is also being hosted at Hatice Sultan's palace. Suleiman had declared that both Isabella and Friedrich were no longer hostages but Royal guests under the Ottoman Empire's protection.

Naturally Melekşima wrote a letter addressed to the Princess of her condolences, pausing as another chest from one of the many Pashas and Vizers in the Sultan's service gifted her.

The proclamation of the Sultan's new Şehzade went throughout all of Istanbul and even further, which brought good fortune to Melekşima, as weekly gifts if not daily were handed over to honour Şehzade Osman and his mother.

Sümbal Agha, Daye Hatun, and Işmilah Hatun oversaw the organisation of Melekşima's new treasures and wealth, preparing inventory as more storage were cleared for the new chests.

Eşmahan, Halimë and Melekşima unloaded one of the newer large chests filled with beautiful embroidered silks of all colours gifted from the Caliph of Baghdad, an Agha was documenting each bolt of fabric with one of the palace's seamstresses and an unnamed Cariyes; who was tasked in helping the Harem's seamstress to catalogue each measurement of every fabric, embroidered silk and gemstone Melekşima had.

"I am curious." Halimë spoke, holding up one of beautiful necklaces that was gifted from the Crimean Khan from the Valide Sultan's family. The beautiful crafted cedar chests they came in sat upon other chests of similar sizes on the copper table where Melekşima usually took her meals.

"Curious of what?" Melekşima nursed Osman in her arms, her little loin was also observing his surroundings, mostly snuggling himself against his mother's bosom.
"I have never seen such a large amount of gifts for a Sultan's son before." Halimë replied, placing the jewellery back in their rightful place before turning her attention on Melekşima. "Hürrem Sultan had given the Sultan three healthy sons, and she had never received as many tributes as these. Hürrem never failed to flaunt her new wealth whenever she birthed her Şehzades to the Harem, mostly to annoy Mahidevran Sultan. From what little I know of the tributes to the past Şehzades, nothing really came close to this. I am unclear of Mahidevran Sultan or Gülfem Hatun, but they belonged to a Şehzade Harem at the time, so it can not be compared"

"Enough Halimë, you are looking too much into it." Melekşima chastised lightly as she soothed a restless Osman back into his crandle. "Whatever Hürrem, Mahidevran, and Gülfem received is their own, and I received is mine. If we continue to go down this path, it will only lead to resentment, and we already have enough of that."

Halimë nodded in agreement, it will be wise not to compare situations such as these.

Melekşima barely left her room, only leaving from time to time to visit the Valide Sultan or the hammam, Osman was always with her- paranoia of something happening to him when he was not within reaching distance disturbed her thoughts. Melekşima's attendants made no attempts to stop her, as she almost threw a jewellery box at Eşmahan for even suggesting leaving Osman with his wetnurse, the Valide Sultan was happy to frequently see her newest grandchild as Melekşima once again was at the Valide's chambers to discuss the influx of gifts.

It was odd that Mahidevran was not accompanying the Valide as she usually would, if the Bas Kadin's lack of presence bothered the Valide, she made no mention of it as she focused her attention on Osman, bouncing him on her knee. The inventory of Melekşima's treasures were documented by the Aghas, handed over to Daye Hatun and then the Valide, so they all could go through what can be sold and what could be kept for the Harem. Plates, goblets and utensils were used for Melekşima's table, she gifted some bolts of fabrics to her entourage, gifted some fine crafted jewellery to the Bas Kadin as a token of respect and Melekşima hand picked the most elegant tapestries as a gift for Valide Sultan, the Aghas holding them out for her to inspect.