Chapter 9:

The more that Melekşima Hatun and Hürrem Sultan faced each other, the more whispers spread throughout the Harem and the Sultan was doing nothing about it, it had seemed the more Hürrem complained the more Melekşima got his attention.

Hürrem's place in the Sultan's heart was now becoming smaller, her influence over him was starting to dim and everyone in the Harem could breathe more easily, Melekşima had feared that she would turn out exactly like the Kadins, fiercely fighting any potential rival that began to rise like Hürrem Sultan or the permanent sorrow that was literally stitched on Mahidevran Sultan face, so she tried not to feel anything.

But that was like a moth drawn towards a flame, and that flame was the Sultan.

The more he called Melekşima, the more she began to feel and the more scared she became, Suleiman's tenderness affection began to break down Melekşima's walls.
He appealed to her intelligence, drawing her in with his knowledge of the world's history or even allowing her to help design a jewel to craft together, Melekşima wanted to curse herself whenever the emotions began to spark but she didn't.
To love the Sultan, even in his bad moods, was a curse on oneself.

But the woman knew she was already cursed, the moment she accepted and put the Valide Sultan's plan in motion, even before meeting the Sultan.
It had out her in the direct enmity of the Kadins and the envy of all the women of the Harem, which had yet had a chance to walk the Golden path.
Melekşima faced the endless sea of whispers and degrading comments from everyone, she hated it.
Halime, Eşmahan, Fatmä and even Ayşe Hatun were her rocks, her closest friends.
They supported and protected her, even when she did not ask for it, this had a price- everything in Topkapi Palace had a price to pay.

Melekşima was treated like a queen, it cane with the position of Ikbal, but she also knew that her position and favour of the Sultan wouldn't last long.
Without a child, especially a son, her position meant nothing.
She was nothing, just another favourite amongst the thousand others just to be forgotten sooner or later, but something as natural as pregnancy cannot be rushed.
Melekşima had more to worry about then birthing a Sultana or Şehzade, like how to survive to see the next sunrise, having Hürrem's dark glare following her every step kind of had her a little on edge.

Melekşima slowly began to become paranoid, afraid that her next food or drink would be poisoned and all of her work up until that point would be for nothing, which Halimë Hatun instantly took noticed. The older Cariyes watched as Melekşima ate the food that another had touched, or barely touched any food at all, after endless bantering and gossip; Halimë grabbed their veils and dragged Melekşima out to the gardens for some needed fresh air.

"What's wrong, Melekşima Hatun?" She asked, linking her arms with Melekşima, Halimë's eyes darted around to check if any of the Kadins spies were floating around.
They always were.
Watching.
Waiting.
"I'm afraid." Melekşima replied, sighing once as they stopped at the blooming rose bush. The young woman didn't know exactly why she was telling the truth, but she did feel that Halimë was loyal, she would never betray her. "Hürrem Sultan will no doubt make another attempt against me, I'm afraid that she will succeed and it will be poison this time."

Halimë paused, her head tilted slightly. "I have yet to hear anything about Hürrem trying to poison us, Melekşima."
Naturally, no one has died so far. "We have known to come down with an illness from time to time, no one had mentioned a word of foul play."
Halimë moved to smell the perfectly pruned rose bush, hissing as she pricked her finger on a thorn. "However... Hürrem did once."
Melekşima froze, panic seeped into her bones. "What?"
"A few years ago, when I first came to the Harem, Hürrem Sultan was pregnant with her first Şehzade; Gülnihal had attracted the attention of the Sultan. He gifted her a sable neck wrap, it was beautiful and only worn by those of the Dynasty and Kadins, Hürrem was furious when she found out." Halimë replied, as they continued to walk within the garden. "She must've seen Gülnihal as a potential threat because next thing anyone knew, Gülnihal was hospitalised due to a severe beating done by Hürrem Sultan. In the heat of the moment, the neck wrap was left in Hürrem's chambers, she soaked it in some liquid and gave it back to it's rightful owner. No one really knows what liquid Hürrem used, but everyone knew she went with Hatice Sultan to an Artist workshop to buy gifts, perhaps it was there she found that particular liquid."