Chapter 17:

Halimë escorted the Harem doctor to Melekşima's chambers as the pain from the adventurous trip continued to get worse throughout the night, Halimë advised both Sümbal Agha and Daye Hatun that the pregnant Hatun was in no shape to attend the morning's prayer, as the Harem doctor was creating relaxing and pain reliving concoctions, Eşmahan and Işmilah were running about getting food; the buzzing around Melekşima's caught the attention of Mahidevran Sultan.

"Sümbal Agha!" Gülash imperious voice called, lowering the noise, instantly Mahidevran was at the foot of Melekşima's bed, observing the pregnant Hatun with a frown. "What is with all the noise?"
Mahidevran locked eyes with the Harem's doctor. "What is wrong? Is the Melekşima's baby in distress?"
"Melekşima Hatun has being experiencing pains in her lower back and feet, it is natural for her to feel this after the amount of exercise she had done yesterday." The doctor replied, bowing her head and handed the needed remedies to Halimë. "I advise her to be on bed rest for the reminder of the day."

Melekşima shrank under the Bas Kadin's stern gaze. "You must take better care of yourself, Melekşima Hatun."
The scolding was expected, but not from Mahidevran. "Daye Hatun and Valide Sultan will be notified."

Soon Melekşima had found herself berated by Valide Sultan moments later, Mahidevran Sultan and Hürrem Sultan both had followed, the Russelana looked very smug as the younger Hatun was now on the receiving end of the Valide Sultan's anger.
In the end, the Valide left with Mahidevran on her tail, Hürrem Sultan stayed back; her tone about Melekşima's health and that of the baby's seemed rather fake. Regardless, Melekşima replied politely with her head raised, annoying the second Kadin as Melekşima was someone she could not easily manipulate or walk all over.

Halimë was only allowed to stay the night, Eşmahan and Işmilah were to spend the night in the main room, but would fill in for Halimë if needed. The older Cariyes took her musical instrument, a gift from Melekşima for her help, and began to play a soft tune, relief from the concoctions the doctor prescribed began to take effect and soon Melekşima was drifting off to sleep.

______

It took three days for Melekşima to fully recover, some incidents involving Gül Agha and Işmilah had delayed the recovery by a day, Suleiman paid her several visits, always with a gift. He quizzed the Harem doctor and Halimë Hatun on Melekşima's health, and their child, it had warmed Melekşima's soul knowing that he cared deeply and was worried on her behalf.

The doctor was a frequent visitor during those three days, and Melekşima found out the woman's name, Gülnihal; the pregnant Hatun wondered if Gülnihal's name was a constant reminder to Hürrem Sultan of her friend she had chased away all those years ago and if the Russelana even felt remorse for doing so.
Eventually, Gülnihal gave the all clear, handing Halimë some balms to be placed on Melekşima's feet before bed to ease with the pain during the night, soon she was back to roam free; Daye Hatun was also a frequent visitor as was Gülfem Hatun.

One afternoon Melekşima Hatun joined the Valide Sultan in her chambers, embroidering with Mahidevran Sultan, Halimë stood over to the side with Gülash; Hürrem entered the chambers like a bad omen.
"Melekşima Hatun, are you well enough to be out of bed?" Her voice was over-sickly sweet, which annoyed the pregnant Hatun, turning her smile into a frown. "You can lose the baby if you overexert yourself."

Her eyes immediately glanced over to Mahidevran, who's facial expressions soured as Hürrem pointed out Mahidevran's miscarriage, Valide Sultan eyebrow rose as she shuffled in her divan uncomfortably.
Melekşima patted Mahidevran's hand, giving the Bas Kadin a small smile as her attention fell back onto the second Kadin. "No worries, my Sultana." Melekşima replied, with her own sickly sweet voice. "Our Lord has been very conscious of my health and that of our child's, we both are well. The baby will be born healthy and strong, like our Padishah."