CHAPTER 39 : Falling Apart.

Start from the beginning

"Ari, please."

"We should stop this 'hurting each other' game." She spoke lightly, trying to remove my hands from her waist.

My hold on her waist tightened "No. Please, don't leave me again."

"You can fight for Ian."

I shook my head "I want you. I want you."

She looked up at me, her eyes were blank. Like nothing mattered to her anymore and I feared that look.

"I was never an important part of your life. You don't want me. I always came as an option to you." She smiled "Me going away will do you good."

I shook my head.

Fuck I am scared. I am so scared.

"You can focus on the mafia. You won't have any weaknesses."

"No."

She removed my hands from her waist and held them in her hands "This is the bright side. You don't have to be worried all the time. You won't have any burden on you."

"No Ari, please don't."

"Like your father said, if you don't have someone you love to protect, you won't have any regrets. You can be a strong leader."

She placed her hand on my right cheek, I closed my eyes feeling her touch. Afraid that I won't be able to feel it again.

I held her left hand tightly in mine.

"I will always love you, Aless."

"No. Don't do this. I promise I won't ever choose the mafia over you. I promise."

"Don't make promises you can't keep." She stood on her tip toes and placed a kiss on my lips.

She took steps back. It felt like I would lose her forever.

I held her hand "W-What if I quit the mafia?"

She stared at me again blankly.

"I will quit the mafia, I will have the ADA. Antonio is there to look after the mafia."

She chuckled, shaking her head "You're not thinking, Aless."

"I am Ari. I will quit the mafia and then I am free to live with you." Damn I didn't know I could be so scared of losing this woman.

I left her hand.

"I will just go to the mansion and will make sure that it's all Antonio from now on."

She held my hand stopping me "You won't do anything like that."

I cupped her face "It'll be for the best. The mafia was never for me. Antonio is Dad's son, his own son the mafia was always for him."

Her eyes were wide, it was like she couldn't believe anything I was saying.

She removed my hands from her face "You're not thinking. Your father always wanted you to be the leader."

"No. He wanted me to take the responsibility until Antonio is capable. And now he is capable of taking this responsibility. My work is done."

"You're out of your mind."

"I am not. I want both of you, Ari. I want Ian and you in my life."

She held my arms "Listen to me. You won't do any such thing."

At that point I couldn't agree with her. I was ready to sacrifice something I have loved more than anyone for 10 years. Whatever she was saying I just couldn't hear any of it. Just one thing I had in my mind was giving up on the mafia.