Chapter 5

The innocent are always the first victims, so it has been for ages past, so is it now.

Athena had a busy morning, going for a morning jog and then watering her plants after returning and now she is about to head out again. She had to pick up new art supplies so she could work at home while the studio was closed. She glanced at her reflection in the mirror, she wore a pair of dark blue skinny jeans, a black tank top with a long blue flannel shirt over it, and then finished off the look with a pair of black boots. Her hair was pulled into a messy bun with a few strands escaping at the front. She grabs her bag along with her keys and heads out, locking her door behind her. Making sure it's locked for the third time she made her way down.

"Miss. Riverdale." a voice spoke as Athena looked up standing on the top of the staircase, right outside the apartment complex. She frowns seeing Detective Taylor standing at the bottom of the stairs, a black coat now thrown over his suit, his hands in his pocket.

"Detective Taylor." Athena said walking down the stairs, so she now stood in front of him. He gave her a small smile in greeting. "To what do I owe this pleasure? I'm guessing it has nothing to do with my two paintings?"

"Not yet," he said as she nodded her head.

"Well, I'm heading out. I need to gather a few supplies down the street." She said looking over her shoulder down the street. Mac followed her gaze before looking at her as she turned back towards him.

"Mind if I walk with you?" he asked as she was taken back for a moment. Him offering to walk with her sounds like a hidden meaning to something.

"Am I being interrogated, detective?" she asked, turning around and starting to walk as Mac fell into step next to her.

"If you were, we wouldn't be having this conversation out here. We would be at the station." he said as she nodded.

"True. Then why are you here then if not to ask questions?"

"I came to return your phone." he said, digging through his pocket before pulling out her phone. He handed it towards her as she took it, unlocking the screen to see it was already fully charged.

"Thanks." she said and placed her phone in her bag.

"I also came to apologize for my rude behavior yesterday." he said as Athena staggered for a moment, but she quickly hid it and kept walking.

"Nonsense Detective. I understand your lab has strict rules and I don't expect you to break it for me. I'm no one special here."

"And you were in Vegas?" he asked as she chuckled, shaking her head.

"Nope." she said as he frowned, noticing how beautiful she is when a smile breaks across her face and not just any smile but a true smile.

"All the same, I'm sorry about yesterday. I hope you understand that I can't release anything from an open case." he said as Athena stopped. They reached the supply store quicker than she thought it would take. He turned towards her as she gave him a smile in return.

"All is forgiven Detective." he smirked looking down at his shoes before meeting her gaze.

"Mac." he said as she tried to hide her smirk. First name basis, nice.

"Athena." she said as he nodded in return. "Well then Mac, this is my stop. Thanks for returning my phone and for the company on the walk." he nodded his head again as she turned around making her way up the stairs, why did most of the building have to have stairs.

"Athena." Mac spoke again as she turned around mid-step. "Would you like to maybe have some coffee with me sometime?" Athena blinks a few times trying to figure out if he really did just say those words? After a few moments Athena smiled before nodding her head.