5• Blessing and Curse

STELLA

What am I doing?

That thought seemed to make itself known in my brain.

I shut my eyes tightly as the arrow flung from my fingertips into the skull of the scar attacking the girl and I watched her as she frantically searched around in disbelief, but then searched for her gun, taking it in her palms and shooting at the incoming Scars spilling from the building like cockroaches in an infested kitchen.

Except maybe I might become one of those cockroaches too and ultimately get smooshed to death.

"C'mon!" Quickly, she opened up her backpack and Toby went gliding in, once again copying the same mannerisms I do with him. I can't help but feel jealously pinch at my nerves.

I accompanied from behind the van, each arrow shot a headshot and I observed as the girl strategically but violently used a melee weapon against the remaining Scars. She seemed perfectly capable of holding her own.

I admired it.

She peered around once the coast was clear, wild eyes darting in every direction. She then shook her head to herself as if she were convinced she was seeing things and I twisted my eyebrows tightly together as I studied her from afar.

"You better fucking keep him safe." I threateningly muttered.

Once again, more had started spilling from the building and she had no time to waste before she had took off and the scars followed after her. With no hesitation and a sudden urge to obliterate these fuckers too, I did the same, being sure to stay hidden in the shadows.

"Turn around, Stella. You're gonna get yourself killed." Abby's voice was sudden and loud in my mind and I cringed at the sudden strong lecture. "No. No, no. Go away." My voice was no louder than a whisper as I smacked my palm against my head repeatedly to rid it of Abby's voice. "Dad wouldn't be so keen on you doing this." I laughed bitterly, anxiously at the voice in my head that wasn't even there.

"Dad's not here."

I forced myself to continue on but was then stopped in my tracks as I halted a torn crumpled piece of paper paper rolling in the dead grass with the toe of my foot.

"Lakehill Seattle Hospital.

scars. fuck these people. stay focused on why you're here. "

Lining the very last blue line noted on the back of the piece of paper read

joel wouldn't want this for you, ellie

crossed out; but the name "Ellie" sounded ominously familiar.

And so did the name "Joel".

Step one down.

Shit. What have I gotten myself into?

☆ ☆ ☆

"Fuck, fuck, fuck..." I anxiously whispered to myself out of fear as I snuck my way through the hospital. "You're such a fucking idiot you know that?" I grumbled to myself. I was narrowly successful in making my way in with a couple of white lies about me searching for Abby - Which weren't total lies.

What am I doing?

That thought seemed to cross my mind a million times just in the last few hours. I might just drive myself fucking nuts with that lingering question. Damn. Abby was right, maybe I do really belong in a nuthouse.