|12|

IN COMPLETE AND utter disbelief, my breath lodged into my throat as if someone had cuffed their hand around my neck, suffocating me.

What the hell just happened?

My eyes widened in disbelief at the fact that a deranged individual just nearly drove us off the road.

We could've been killed!

Fear encapsulated my thoughts, pushing my heart to gallop like a pony in a race, slamming against my chest.

Troy turned, gazing into the backseat at Lena and Dave.

"Who the hell was that?!" Troy asked them, "Do you know who was in that van?!"

Lena's eyes widened, and she shrugged, "No." Her voice was laced with fear while she shook her head. She abruptly turned her head, her eyes piercing into Dave's, desperate for reassurance.

Dave's mouth was agape. He took glances at both Troy and me as if we had the answer.

"I have no idea," Dave said, with the initial shock of the incident still evident on his face.

Lena placed her arm around Dave, comforting him, "Neither of us knows, Troy. We're just as clueless as you."

Her gaze shifted toward me, "Aren't you both the ones who have been receiving threatening letters?" Lena asked defensively.

Troy's eyes widened, "Shit! You're right, Lena." he placed his fingers on his temples, massaging them, something he often did when stressed.

"I totally forgot about those damn letters!" Troy pounded his fist against the steering wheel in anger.

It was one thing to receive anonymous threatening letters, but having someone go to the extent of trying to run us off the road was a whole new level of danger.

Troy's anger transformed into a mix of concern and frustration.

"Damn it!" he exclaimed, his voice laced with anger, "I completely forgot about those damn letters!"

The gravity of the situation weighed heavily on all of us. It was clear that Troy and I couldn't longer ignore the threats to us. Our safety was at stake. A yearning ache grew in my heart as a sense of profound sorrow for Lena and Dave enveloped me. They were innocent parties in all of this. Someone was trying to harm Troy and me, not Lena and Dave.

Who was so adamant about hurting us, though? And why?

I took a deep breath and exhaled.

My voice trembled, "We can't ignore this, Troy. It's getting more serious and dangerous. We need to report everything to the authorities now."

Lena's expression mirrored my concern as she nodded in agreement. "Trish is right, Troy. You'll have Dave and I as witnesses to this incident. Maybe now the police will do something about this maniac."

Dave's earlier shock had transformed into a determined expression. He reached out to grip Lena's hand for support. "Do you guys have any idea who was sending those letters?"

Troy's frustration was now tinged with a sense of urgency. He took a deep breath, determined to take action, "Alright, we can find a police station in Pine Glacier and report it to them. We'll give them every detail. This time, they can't turn us away."

Troy placed his foot on the gas, revving the engine. The truck's tires glided across the icy road, and we were again on our way.

***

When we finally arrived at the Pine Glacier Hills Resort, Troy maneuvered the truck into the nearest vacant parking spot in front of the snow-covered lodge.