6|| The Camera

Lesley sat in her comfy armchair in the living room, relishing in the tranquility of the day. The sun's rays spiraled through the open curtains, casting a gentle glow into the room.

A soft breeze of air drifted in through the screen door, causing the sheer curtains to wave back and forth delicately.

It was the most relaxing day Lesley had experienced in quite some time. She had consciously thrown out the thoughts of the previous day's event and wanted nothing more than to enjoy her day.

In her hands, she held the highly acclaimed book "The Proverbial Life of a Photographer." Her eyes were glued to the pages as she flipped through each one, taking a keen interest in learning new skills for her soon-to-be Photography business.

She paused when her eyes landed on the word "passion," and a soft smile tugged at her lips as her memories floated back to the eighth grade. She had been in Mrs. Longmire's class, where a single photograph had changed everything.

***

"Capture the beauty of the world through your lens," Mrs. Longmire encouraged, placing the small black camera in Lesley's hands.

Lesley knew the world was now her playground. The camera hung around thirteen-year-old Lesley's neck as she scoured the neighborhood, searching for the perfect scenery and backdrops. She was fond of nature and found it one of the purest forms of beauty.

Lesley could effortlessly hear the bees buzzing nearby as they pollinated the wildflowers near her grandparent's home. A giggle spontaneously escaped her lips.

As she grew older, Lesley knew without one doubt that photography would be her career of choice. But when she graduated from Stony Brook University, the reality of her financial situation hit hard.

Excitement coursed through her veins as she held her freshly minted BFA in Photography.

"We did it!" Lesley cheered, jumping up and down while hugging her best friend, Denise. Decked out in their caps and gowns, they snapped photo after photo. Happiness emanated from the smiles woven across their faces.

Reality soon set in like a ship sinking into the depths of the ocean when Lesley received her first student loan bill. Sitting at the kitchen table, she stared at the daunting numbers, a swell of nerves caught in her queasy stomach. With her Mom sitting across from her, she expressed her concerns about life post-graduation, "Mom, the bills are piling up, and I don't think I can keep up anymore," she said, her voice heavy with sorrow.

Her mother glanced up from her cup of tea, wrinkles etched across her forehead and her hands shaky, "It doesn't sound like photography is practical for you anymore, Les. You're only twenty-one and have a lot of time to pursue more realistic opportunities. Something I never had the chance to do, given my addiction to alcohol."

Lesley nodded, and the weight of her mother's words sunk in. She didn't want to follow in her mother's footsteps. Addiction and stripping as a career was not in Lesley's future. Determined to find a stable career, she buried herself in books about the tech recruiting industry. Each page she turned felt like a step toward a promising new future.

Months later, she sat confidently in an interview with Millers Tech Recruiters Inc. After each question asked, Lesley was able to answer with surprising sophistication. The manager, a woman with brown frizzy hair, listened intently as Lesley spoke.

"We'd like to offer you the job now," the manager said, a smile forming. "On the spot, as a first-level tech recruiter. What do you say?"

Lesley's heart raced. "Yes, I'll take it!" she replied, excitement bubbled within.