Ch 1 : My life

There is one room I love more than any other, our karate dojo. My dad build it so my brothers could practice but I sneak in there a lot. It is a large room mostly covered in tatami carpets. Two out of four walls are made of large landscape windows which allow for light to flood into the room. At the far end there is a gym area with all kinds of equipment such as punching bags, weights and a treadmill. I love spending time here. Being here always makes me feel like I am capable and brave. I tip toe to Jordan who is practicing a kata. He is the youngest of my two brothers. He is 17 and spends all his free time in here. He has in mind set on winning nationals later on this year. We look quite alike, he is kind and he taught me everything I know about karate. In some way you could call him my Sensei. 

"Alice? What are you doing here? If dad finds you in here he will punish you!" He said while he walked over to me. His long hair was kept together with a leather string in a ponytail and swings from side to side.
"I want to practice." I said decisively and waited silently for his consent.
He sighed. "Well if you want to practice you're gonna need a partner. How about a quick duel, you and me?" Jordan accepted my desire to exercise karate much more easily compared with my other brother James.

I nodded, stood up and immediately I kicked him in the hip and punched him in the stomach. I knew from experience I had to surprise him if I wanted to have any chance at all.
"Wow Alice you're getting better and better." Jordan exclaimed smilingly and jumped to his feet.
"Let's see how good you are when I'm ready for you!" He laughed.

"Hey Jordie, can I talk to you for a minute?" My 18 year old brother James entered the Dojo looking like a thundercloud. He walked over to us with big steps and you could see that he was not pleased.
"Sure" Jordan replied and walked over to meet James halfway. "You know father doesn't want her practising." James whispered. He looked like he wanted to pick a fight.
"Well, father isn't gonna know about it, right?" Jordan whispered back, defending me.
"Not unless I tell him." James smiled, feeling kind of smug.
"I know I can expect a lot of you, but I really hope you would never sink so low." Jordan replied.
"Just watch me." James walked out of the dojo and Jordan turned around to look at me.
"It's ok, I'll go." I sighed and I walked towards the door.
"Alice, please stay." Jordan said and he gently held my wrist.
"It shouldn't be like this. One day he will accept you for who you truly are."
"No seriously.... I should go." With my other hand I took his hand off of mine. I walked out of the Dojo and set course for the music room where I looked around and sighed again. I took a violin off the shelf and started playing.