Make Him Happy

The fight just keeps going on and on. This is bad. Suddenly Bård comes running down the stairs. His eyes are all red and his nose is running. He's been crying. He doesn't see us, he just runs past us. Vegard is right behind him, he has also been crying. What happened up there? Hedda and Harald are right behind Vegard. They look a little shaken but still calm.

- Maja, maybe you should go after them. Hedda smiles at me. - We talked to Bård about moving and we don't want him to move until he's finished high school. He didn't take it that well. I think he needs your comfort as well as his big brothers.

- Besides, you two don't want a nosy little brother in your apartment when you live alone. Harald winks at me and Hedda hits him on his arm. Bjarte chuckles. I smile at them and then I go after the boys. They are standing in the carport talking. Bård is so mad, walking around, kicking things and yelling at invisible people. Vegard doesn't really know what to say.

- Hey, are you two okay? I walk over to Bård and lay my hand on his arm.

- No, they won't let me move. He kicks on a stone. - I want to move. I want to be with you guys. He dramatically throws his arms in the air. - This sucks. He sighs. - It's your fault Vegard. He glares at his brother.

- What did I do? Vegard glares back.

- You told them I was moving with you, Bård growls.

- You don't think they would notice if you moved? Vegard sneers. - What are you, stupid? He rolls his eyes.

- Don't call me stupid, you ruined everything, he screams.

With that, Bård jumps Vegard and they roll around on the ground, fighting. It's dark and it's wet and they have gravel everywhere. I try to stop them, but I can't, so I have to run in and get Harald. He comes out, screaming, parting them. Vegard's got a nosebleed and Bård has a nice bruise under his eye. We start to walk in. Vegard goes a few steps in front of Bård and something Vegard does makes Bård angry again so he once again jumps Vegard and this time he rubs his face in the gravel. Harald is already in so I jump Bård, just to get him off Vegard. He is hurting him pretty bad. Bård accidentally hits me with his elbow, giving me a black eye and a nosebleed. Harald is back and once again he parts them. This time he makes sure Bård walks in the door first and then Vegard. Hedda takes care of me and Vegard while Harald takes care of, and yells at, Bård. So much for a quiet Sunday night.

We are going to look horrible, all three, tomorrow. Bård have a horrible bruise on his face, I got a black eye and Vegard have scrapes all over his face. I lay and look at Vegard's face, it's gross to be honest. At least it doesn't bleed.

- You know my angel, even though you look like minced meat, you are so incredibly beautiful. Gross but beautiful. I snigger.

- Minced meat, you say. He grins. - Thanks a lot, bluebell. He chuckles.

- Well, a bluebell is beautiful. I smile and take his hand.

- Like you then. He leans down and kisses my hand.

- You want me to get him?

- Yeah, I might as well talk to him.

I haven't even gotten out of bed before there's a knock on the door and Bård sticks his head in the door.

- Can I come in? he asks hesitantly. - Is it okay?

- Yes, it's okay. Vegard smiles at him. - Just...lock the door.

He comes in and carefully locks the door after him before he lays down beside me. He looks like a beaten man, both physically and mentally.

- I'm so sorry, you guys. He looks down, a sad smile ghosting his lips. - Maja, that's just horrible. I didn't mean to hit you like that.