Chapter 12 - Family

AN - Right I know I'm not getting any better at updating however much I say I am going to try I still don't. I'm sorry about that! But anyway thankyou all so much for the amount of reads I have got, over 1000! I am eternally grateful.

I set an alarm early for the next morning. I needed everything to be perfect for seeing them. I had missed everything; their birth, taking them home, their first steps, their first outing, their first words, comforting them when they have a bad dream and just being there for them. I was a terrible person and an even worse dad. I didn't deserve them girls; they deserved someone so much better than I had been.

Although it was only a few hours it felt like forever from when I woke up to when my phone started to ring with a call from Rebecca. I quickly dived to answer it as soon as I heard it.

"Hey Rebecca" I said as casually as I could when I answered.

"Hey, I talked to the girls when they woke up and, if you still want to, then you can come round any time from now." She said sounding nervous. I hoped her nerves weren't because she didn't think that they'd like me because then I can honestly say that although I've never even spoken to them I would be heartbroken if they didn't like me. But then once again I wouldn't blame them.

"O-okay" I said nervously as I planned out what I would say to them in my mind.

The phone call ended not long after and I started thinking about leaving. I stood up from the spot on my bed and walked towards the mirror to check that I looked presentable, I then picked up the two stuffed princess toys that I'd picked up this morning to give to them. Both the toys had a pink top to match their room, on the front of both the tops was a large outlined heart with 'Daddy's Princess' written in it. I knew it didn't exactly make up for missing 4 years of their life but I hoped it was a start to get them to know how sorry I was. I don't think it has actually hit me yet that I have children. I'm 23 and already I have two amazing little girls to give my love to.

I stood patiently at Rebecca's door after knocking; I rocked slightly on my feet out of pure nerves. The same worrying gut feeling that I had been getting ever since last night set in again, what if they hated me for not being there. If anyone around me could read my mind they would just be seeing that I was thinking the same thing over and over again but I was nervous. I wish things would’ve been different and Rebecca and me could’ve worked it out together with them girls. We would’ve had an amazing life. It could’ve been perfect. But no. I had to go and screw it all up.

I heard movement from behind the door and I felt my heart rate quicken as I realized what was going to happen after the door opened. Well I wasn’t sure exactly but I knew something was going to happen and it would either turn out well or terribly. I had the thought once again to run, run away from the door and pretend I didn’t come. I could just forget it all. No, I had to do this. The lock clicked behind the door and the handle was pushed down and it started moving away from me as someone opened it. I swallowed the nervous lump in my throat and straightened my top out as I waited for the door to open fully. As the door opened completely I saw Rebecca standing on the other side of the now open doorframe, she smiled slightly at me and I returned the smile.

“Come in” She said in a quiet voice and moved to the side and I stepped inside and she shut the door behind me. “Just go through to the living room” She told me and I nodded and walked in the direction of the living room. I could feel Rebecca following behind me, which meant she’d see the two toys hanging loosely in my grip. I walked through the doorway of the living room and smiled as I saw Lillie and Annabelle sitting on the floor playing with some toys. Rebecca cleared her throat a little causing the girls eyes to snap up from where they were looking and then their eyes widened and they both stood up and ran towards us.