22. Yet Peaking Through Every Fight

After restoring Wormtail with a metallic hand, Voldemort focused his attention on Elwin and Flora.

"You've seen what use resisting me is," he said softly. "I've proven your precious Flora is still alive. Now, do as you said. Pledge your loyalty to me."

Elwin's entire body ached, but that ache was nothing compared to the screams of protest it made as he stood up, stepping in front of a very confused Flora.

"You already have the rest of my family in your pocket, why do you need me?" he asked, his voice far weaker and quieter than he wished. "If you're so powerful, you shouldn't need me."

An explosion of yells and protests rang from the circle, indignant he had dared to question Voldemort's power, but they instantly silenced at the raise of their master's hand.

"You're useful to me, Malfoy," he said softly. "Together, we could change the world." 

Elwin stared at him, an expression of unveiled wonder on his face. It was an intrigued, curious expression. 

"Elwin," Flora whispered, barely perceptible in its softness.

Ignoring her, he took a step forward, staring at the Dark Lord, not quite meeting his eye. He took another step. Soon, he was standing right before Voldemort. Then, still looking at him, Elwin began to sink to his knee. Voldemort grinned, turning to look at the Death Eaters in glee. Just as he was turned, however, Elwin reached into his shoe, pulling out the knife he kept there to collect food for Azar, before lunging. He had just managed to pin Voldemort to the ground, knife to his throat before he was flung back.

Elwin crashed against the ground so hard the breath was knocked out of his lungs. Voldemort rose to his feet, his hand at his neck. When he drew it away, there was blood both on his finger and neck. Raising his wand, he opened his mouth to shout something, but before he could begin what Flora only assumed had to be the killing curse, she jumped forward, shielding Elwin with her own body. Voldemort paused, wand still hovering in the air. Although Flora could not understand why, he lowered it, staring at the two of them, burning with fury.

Turning toward the Death Eaters, he fixated on a specific one as he remarked spitefully, "Between your own son's lack of loyalty and the lack of effort to find me, Lucius, I begin to wonder at your own loyalty to this cause."

"My lord-" Lucius began, desperately trying to come up with an explanation for his son's behaviour.

"Spare me," Voldemort interrupted.

As he moved through the circle of Death Eaters, Flora turned to Elwin, whispering as loud as she dared, "What are we going to do?"

"I don't know," he whispered. "We need to get back toward Harry." Nodding, Flora shifted her eyes up toward the grave where Harry was tied so tightly against the tombstone he couldn't move. He was watching them already, his expression unreadable. As Voldemort finished his rotation, the two moved closer and closer to Harry, finally reaching him just as Voldemort began talking about the six missing Death Eaters.

"Are you all right?" Elwin asked, keeping his eyes away from Harry so as to not arouse suspicion.

"I've been better," Harry replied quietly as the Death Eater to the right of Wormtail stepped forward.

Lucius Malfoy's voice came from under the mask as he asked, "Master, we crave to know...we beg you to tell us...how you have achieved this...this miracle...how you managed to return to us..."

"Ah, what a story it is, Lucius," Voldemort remarked with relish. "And it begins - and ends - with my young friend here."

Here, he slowly approached Harry, trapping Elwin and Flora between him and the grave.

"You know, of course, that they have called this boy my downfall? You all know that on the night I lost my powers and my body, I tried to kill him. His mother died in the attempt to save him - and unwittingly provided him with a protection I admit I had not foreseen...I could not touch the boy." Raising one hand, finger outstretched, he resumed, "His mother left upon him the traces of her sacrifice...This is old magic. I should have remembered it. I was foolish to overlook it...but no matter. I can touch him now."

Extending his finger ever so slightly more, he made contact with Harry. Aside from the occasional muted cry of pain, Harry made no noise. 

Stepping back, Voldemort turned back to address his followers as he said, "I miscalculated, my friends, I admit it. My curse was deflected by the woman's foolish sacrifice, and it rebounded upon myself. Ah, pain beyond pain, my friends; nothing could have prepared me for it. I was ripped from my body, I was less than spirit, less than the meanest ghost...but still, I was alive. What I was, even I do not know...I, who have gone further than anybody along the path that leads to immortality. You know my goal - to conquer death. And now, I was tested, and it appeared that one or more of my experiments had worked...for I had not been killed, though the curse should have done it. Nevertheless, I was as powerless as the weakest creature alive, and without the means to help myself...for I had no body, and every spell that might have helped me required the use of a wand...

"I remember only forcing myself, sleeplessly, endlessly, second by second, to exist...I settled in a faraway place, in a forest, and I waited...Surely, one of my faithful Death Eaters would try and find me...one of them would come and perform the magic I could not, to restore me to a body...but I waited in vain..." 

The silence following this statement was so long, Elwin almost began to think it would never end. Flora had huddled behind him, her heart beating at such a rapid, harsh pace he could hear it in the silence. 

"Only one power remained to me. I could possess the bodies of others. But I dared not go where other humans were plentiful, as I knew that the aurors were still abroad and searching for me. I sometimes inhabited animals - snakes, of course, being my preference - but I was little better off inside them than as pure spirit, for their bodies were ill-adapted to perform magic...and my possession of them shortened their lives: none of them lasted long...

Flora could not listen anymore. Her heart pounded so loud she could hear nothing else beyond the rhythmic thrumming in her ears. Drawing in a shaky breath, she took Elwin's hand into her own, laying her head on his shoulder. Moving back slightly, he soothed her with the few means available to him.

Almost silently, Elwin muttered, "I don't suppose you have a plan, Potter?" 

Harry shook his head, saying nothing as he kept his eyes fixed on Voldemort.