5. Where Wind Flies

Flora woke the following morning shortly before eight. After getting ready for the day, she packed her manuscript, quill, inkpot, and a book in her bag with plans to work outside the ice cream shop in Diagon Alley. After eating breakfast and saying goodbye to those who had not yet left for the Quidditch Cup, she apparated, finding herself in the Leaky Cauldron. 

Passing into the alley, she had begun to make her way to the ice cream shop when a sudden sound caught her attention. It was a musical caw coming from one of the shops. An intense curiosity possessed her as she took a step toward the sound, eventually tracking it to a bookstore farther down the alley. The store appeared to be closed, but just when she decided to look another time, the sign flipped, although there was no evidence of what had done it. 

Assuming the witch or wizard who owned the shop had used their wand, Flora approached the door and stepped inside. It was a warm, homely place, lit both with natural light from the windows and a number of candles. Chairs had been placed anywhere they would fit. In the front room, there was a large counter, on which a book lay open with a bowtruckle sitting on it and watching her curiously, its brown eyes wide open. On a perch at the end of the counter was the source of the music. It was a beautiful phoenix. 

"Hello," Flora said kindly, smiling as she took a cautious step forward. The phoenix stopped with a cheerful twitter, fixing her with one of her bright eyes. She did not dare try to touch either creature, but she was watching them with bright eyes. With a small caw, the phoenix took off from its perch landing on her shoulder and rubbing her head affectionately against Flora's. She let out a good-natured laugh, gently petting the large bird as a figure appeared in the doorway. 

"Oh, I'm so sorry," he said quickly. "Azar, off." 

"No, no, it's all right," Flora assured him, not taking her eyes off the bird, but it was too late. At Elwin's command, Azar instantly returned to her perch, squawking at him reproachfully. 

"Don't give me that," he scolded, reaching into a drawer and handing her some food. As she began nibbling at it, Finn climbed onto his shoulder as Elwin turned to look at the woman who had entered his shop. "I'm Elwin." 

"Flora," she replied, shaking his hand with a wide smile that Elwin could not help but find enchanting. 

He avoided her gaze shyly, stepping closer toward Azar as he asked, "Is there anything I can help you with?" 

"Oh, no. I'm good," she said, her cheeks flushing slightly as she too dropped her gaze. "I was just intrigued by Azar's singing. I'm actually trying to find somewhere to finish editing my book." 

"Then look no further," Elwin said, passing by her and gesturing to all the chairs. "I would be honoured if my shop would be such a place." 

"Oh, but...I thought this was a bookstore?" Flora said, abashed at the suggestion of treating a bookstore like a library. 

"Bookstore, library...everything in between," he said with a shrug. "Please, feel free. There are a lot of people who come here to read, do holiday work. You would hardly be the first." 

"All right," Flora said shyly. "Thank you, Mr Elwin." 

"Please, just Elwin is fine," he said. "Only the children call me Mr Elwin." 

"Thank you, Elwin," Flora said softly, glancing up at him to find he was already looking at her. Fighting off a blush, she choose a seat and got to work. There were only about twenty pages left, so it only took two hours or so to finish. During that time, however, she could not help but be distracted by the people coming in and out of the shop. 

There was no set type to appear, but rather there seemed to be something in Elwin's shop for each and every type of person. Children came in to pet Azar, be teased by Elwin, and read books he selected especially for them while some school-aged children came in to work, occasionally asking questions of the amiable owner who seemed to not only have a vast knowledge of magical creatures but in all subjects from potions to charms to transfiguration and even more obscure topics like runes and arithmancy. Young adults came to select books which they either bought or loaned, often lingering to converse both with Elwin and other customers. Some came in to buy from the supply of used books Elwin sold for almost nothing, but each person, no matter the age, left with a smile. 

An elderly woman came in, asking if Elwin would buy her late husband's books from her. She named such an insanely high price Flora was afraid it would lead to an argument, but Elwin never flinched. He delicately explained he could not pay that much, but eventually bartered her down to a far more reasonable price and even promised to come himself to pick up the large supply of books. 

There was always a steady supply of laughter and fun in the small bookshop, so much so that Flora was sorry when she had finished her last page. Regretfully, she packed up her quill and inkpot, packaging her manuscript and preparing to go to the owl post to send it off. Before she left, however, she could not help the wish to speak to Elwin. At that time, however, he was entertaining a group of children with a story about how he found the bowtruckle that lived in his pocket. 

Flora listened for a few minutes before she gave a small smile and headed for the door, glancing back one more time before leaving the shop behind.