0.5 - The Late blossom

I was woken up by the sun slapping my face directly through the dusty roof. The things that had my attention first thing in the morning are the dingy spider webs hanging from the ceiling and the possibility of getting an earful from Benjamin, my manager at Monté. I didn't put much thought into them and started getting ready for the dreadful day ahead.

I wore my signature outfit, white t-shirt with a pair of old jeans not because I have work but because I have decided to meet Martha. And that's exactly where I was headed to, later than I'm supposed to.

As my foot walked through the streets with the weather that can boil eggs, the only thing that really boiled me was my answer to Martha. I took off to her apartment in Centervilla where most of our happy moments passed. Anxiously, I took the lift to the second floor only to get calmed by the sight of Mart's peach coloured bag. I thanked myself for taking the bus as I noticed her locking her doors.

Her fingers didn't wait a second more to open the door again as she caught a glimpse of me. We were barely inside when she asked,

''What do you think about my offer?''

I didn't answer her question, I didn't know how to.

"Well, Mart come over to Monté at 8", I said frowning a little, still unsure of the answer I was about to give her.

She was quick to notice my frown and said, "It's okay Chase. Let's reschedule it to 9. We both know how hard it is".

I agreed and left to work keeping myself from staying there longer.

Before I knew it, I was in the most familiar neighborhood that I knew in the suburbs, Warlington. It was a heaven for businesses like Monté but for me, it was just chaotic.

I was running late so I was quick to get out of my head space. I power walked to the backrooms of the restaurant and as I expected, I heard the same old sound. To be certain, it sounded like a dog breathing right next to my ear. As usual, I knew it was Benjamin, the very manager I was talking about.

I almost succeeded in ignoring him for the day with the help of the busy hours in the morning.But as the afternoon approached, I felt my stomach sink slowly as I realised that I have to face his red expression.

The whole day, I sensed him boring holes in the back of my head from the backrooms. And just when I assumed he would do the same during lunch I was proven wrong. This time, he sat right in front of me, his face contorted with rage, his jaw clenched. I played smart and made sure my eyes was focused on my double patty burger the whole time. I let out a huge sigh of relief when I heard the bell.

The rest of the day was carried on by the hustle and bustle. I was changing from my apron and was about to celebrate my victory but then, I heard those same old breaths, this time right next to me. I was creeped out for a second or two but quickly turned to the source.

"You have something to tell me sir?", I asked, acting fool.

"You've been watching over me a lot today".

"You know very well what you did you punk!! You think you're a hero that came to fight for the employees welfare or what?", he asked, shouting to my face.

"I just didn't like the fact that the tip that was to be shared equally is swallowed whole by a single person without any crumbs, as in a person who sits on the back rooms everyday without picking up a single plate", I answered, trying my best to untie my apron faster.

"So? You think you're boss's favorite employee or what? I can fire you here at this moment and no one would question me, not even the boss", he said, his breathes getting constant.

I knew my fate, just like those who were against him knew. So, I made the first move.

"You don't have to fire me, sir. I'm quitting. I have done what I should do, and that is, letting the boss acknowledge the real hard workers", I said and walked away without looking back.

I wished I did this a year ago, when Mart first told me to.

But, better late than never right?