Dragon Breath

This week was the week, the week of the fall dance. Alaska was going to go for her first real dance, not the stuffy balls her aunts would throw, or the small parties in Little Home-World. An actual school dance. She was so excited and nervous. 

She still didn't have a date, but it didn't matter, she was going to stag it and try and make some new friends. 

Right now, it was the night before the big day. Alaska was currently on her roof while listening to Livin' La Vida Loca by Ricky Martin, swaying to the beat and singing some of the lyrics. She didn't notice the dragon land near her, or should I say, Jake landed near her. He was a wreck, he just had to fight a monster in the sewer and flew home because it was faster. 

He watched as she danced like no one was watching and she was a pretty good dancer. When the song was over Alaska took of her headphones and noticed the dragon out of the corner of her eye. 

"I didn't think anyone was watching." The girl looked nervous as the dragon approached her. Jake stayed silent, thinking if he opened his mouth, he might spill his secrets. 

"I was practicing for the dance, it's gonna be my first and I hope I make some new friends." Alaska felt the dragon could understand her and has vented or talked to him when he came around. 

Jake gave her a smile and rubbed his neck out of discomfort. He was thrown into a wall. Alaska seemed to notice and motioned for him to show her his injury, to which he complied. "Looks like you got into some trouble, Dragon." 

Alaska started to call Jake's dragon form "Dragon" because she didn't think they had a name, and she takes after her dad. He named his pet lion "Lion" so Alaska calling a dragon "Dragon" wasn't that big a difference. 

Alaska used her hands to gently massage her now cold hands on the dragon's neck, healing the bruising and soreness. Jake relaxed as the pain from the fight faded and left his neck. "Feel better?" 

The dragon nodded and Alaska started to gather her things. "Good, I got school tomorrow, so I'll see you the next time you drop in." 

The half gem then went inside, and Jake did the same while his face was turning a darker shade than his scales. The next day Alaska got to school the same time Jake and his friends did, so she decided to say hi. 

"Hey, Jake." Jake took off his helmet and waved back.

 "Hey, Alaska. Uh, guys this is Alaska. Alaska, these are my friends Trixie and Spud." Alaska smiled at the two. "Hi, nice to meet you both."

 Trixie crossed her arms and smirked at Jake. "This is the Alaska you won't shut up about?!" "Dude, she's like, really pretty." Alaska blushed at the comment and rubbed the back of her neck. 

"I'm not that pretty, but thanks. I'll see you all in class then?" "How about we all walk in together, we're all going to the same place after all." Alaska nodded at Trixie's offer, and they all walked in. 

"So, Jake, who you gonna ask to the dance?" Jake shook his head and motioned to Alaska with his head, Trixie seemed to get the message and stopped. "Ok, what about you, Alaska? You gonna ask anyone to the dance?"

 The girl shook her head and fiddled with her hair. "I don't know, Trixie. I barely know anyone here, and the guy I want to ask might say no. So, I'm gonna stag it, maybe make some new friends." Spud then patted Alaska on the back. 

"You're a brave soul, Alaska." She chuckled and waved goodbye as she met up with Rose. "Hey, Alaska, anyone ask you to the dance yet?" The two started to walk to class. 

"No, and I don't think I have enough courage to ask someone." Rose raised and brow and nudged Alaska's shoulder. 

"Or a certain someone in a red jacket." Alaska blushed and playfully shoved her friend, making her laugh. "Stop, and besides, did anyone ask you yet?"