Chapter 8

We have been waiting here for a couple of hours. Not saying anything. We are both watching to see if anyone is coming. It doesn't look like anyone is headed this way. It has been quiet while we've been waiting here. I'm actually enjoying myself. Especially since we aren't running for our lives. I wonder what it was about those gunshots that made Sherri so scared. Hopefully we'll have that talk soon.
     "I think it is safe to continue now," she whispers.
     "Ok, let's go," I reply to her.
     We start walking again and I get the impression that we won't be talking. By that I mean Sherri has that lost in thought look and I don't think I should disturb her. So I pass the time looking at the trees. They are just starting to change their color. What little bit of woods are left. Wow when did I become this person? I'm not watching Sherri's butt. I'm watching the leaves change color. She is having an effect on me.
     There are some cars and trucks up ahead. We stop and look around but don't see anyone. "Do you want to search them or keep going?," I ask.
     She looks at the vehicles and then back to me. "We might as well. Our packs are getting lighter and I don't see any stores," she says and smiles.
     "It's good to see that smile again," I tell her and start walking to the vehicles.
     "Let's split up and search them. It will go faster," she tells me as she heads for a truck.
     I head to a car. It's windows are down. I peer in and find it empty. Whew. Ok so far, so good. It looks like a blanket on the back seat. It's folded. That's kinda weird. I sniff it and it smells clean. I'll keep that. There doesn't seem to be anything else on the seats. Let's check the glove compartment. Nothing here either. Ok time for the trunk. I reach down and pull the trunk lever and hear it pop open. I look over at Sherri and she is still busy with the truck. I walk to the trunk and look inside. Nothing. Oh well, on to the next.
     "Having any luck? I hear as Sherri walks up to me.
     "A little. I found a blanket," I say as I hold it up.
     "Nice. I found a knife and some granola bars and a bag of dried fruits," she says.
     "We are doing pretty good. Let's eat some breakfast now. I'm getting hungry," I say just as my stomach growls.
     "Sounds good to me. I could eat," she says and laughs.
     Boom! Boom!
     Sherri takes off running. Well here we go again. Some information would help. I take off running after her. "Where are we running to? There isn't really any more woods to hide in as far as I can see," I ask her.
     "We'll run until we find something. Those gunshots were closer. I don't want to see who is doing the shooting," she says and keeps running down the road.
     She definitely has more stamina than me. But I do seem to be getting better. I'm not as winded as I was. It's only been about a week or so since I left the comfort of home. I could really eat right now.
     It seems like we've been running all day. Probably only about five minutes or so, when we see a sign for a gas station. Don't think we have much use for that now. But we might be able to hide there unless its by itself. That is definitely not a good idea if it is. We won't be able to keep running for too much longer so I hope it has other places around it. My feet are hurting. I wish we had eaten breakfast.
     "You still back there?," she says without looking back. "I can't hear you breathing hard, so I was wondering."
     I can tell she is smiling without seeing her face. I smile back even though she isn't looking. I guess I am doing better.
     "There it is," she says and points to the gas station.
     "Oh good. That's not too far," I reply. I can make that. It's just coming into view. Yeah, I can make that, if I don't drop dead from a heart attack. I laugh.
     "What's so funny back there?" she asks as she turns slightly around then back.
     "Just thinking about how short life seems sometimes," I reply. The gas station is getting closer. There is a restaurant next to it. They look like they've seen better days.
     "Let's take a quick look around. We might have a few minutes. Then we will go to those woods in the back. Sound good?" she says while glancing around.
     "Sounds great. I just want to lay down and pass out," I reply as we get to the parking lot. There doesn't seem to be anyone around. Score one for us. We take a quick look around but there isn't anything that grabs our attention. The station and restaurant look well picked clean.
     "Ok, let's look for a good place to hide in those woods. It looks better than the last ones we were in," she says and heads toward the trees.
     As soon as we enter the small wooded area, I get shoved and knocked into a tree. Ow! Ow! Ow! What the hell was that? I think as I fall to the ground. I hear a shout and realize Sherri is fighting with someone. The world is spinning so I won't be of any use. I try to focus on where Sherri is. Looks like she is fighting someone on the ground. I hear a crunch beside me and look around, then up, and think hey, that person looks familiar. Wait a minute. "Josh? Is that you, Josh?" My left arm is hurting from the tree or the fall and I moan a little and lay down.
     "Daryn?! Oh my god, Sherri?", Josh yells as he finally recognizes us. "Sherri! Stop fighting, its us, Josh, Melanie and Cindy. We heard gun shots. They sounded far away. Then we heard someone running this way and I guess we freaked out. We're so sorry," Josh said as he sat down.
     "It's ok," I said as I sat up. "Sherri, are you ok? How about you Melanie? Wait, where is Cindy?"
     "I'm over here," she replies. "I twisted my ankle and we were taking a break before heading out again. It's slow going but I have to keep going."
     Melanie sits up and groans, then look at Sherri. "I'm just glad that it's you two and not whoever was shooting back there," she says as she gets up.
     "Daryn and I were running from the shots. We don't know who they are. We didn't see anyone. But better safe than sorry in this new world. I hope I didn't hurt you too bad, Melanie," Sherri says as she helps her to sit by Josh.
     Cindy comes hobbling out. She looks like she is in a bit of pain. Guess I joined the club. I move my arm a little to see if anything is broken. Nope, just sprained. Should be fine in a few uncomfortable days. Sherri seems to be ok. Melanie looks like a black eye is starting to show. Josh looks ok. Lucky guy.
     We sit around and talk about what we've seen and heard since our last time together. Other than Cindy's ankle, not much has been going on with them. Just tired and hungry like me and Sherri.
     The next thing I know, everything goes black.