A Rebel's Death

The night air was met with a chill.
It seemed about right. Your body was frozen, a liquid soaked your hands, stained your clothes.
"D-Don't leave me. You promised." Your voice came out in a horse whisper. "You promised!"
You pounded on the ground as if he would reply.
With the chill, drops started to fall from the sky. They began to soak your skin and hair but you didn't care. "You promised!"
You wrapped your hand around one of the arrows and tore it out, followed with blood.
"You can't die yet!"
You tried tugging at his robes.

"Say,what's that?" You pointed towards a book on Kankri's shelf.
The troll looked up and smiled. "That's a classic. Would you like to borrow it? It's rather interesting."
He reached up and pulled the book from its spot before setting it in your hands.

"I'm scared... Please don't leave me."

"Tired?" A familiar face stepped up to the table you sat at. You looked up from your work, giving a nod. "Yea. I have so much to do." You let out a groan and dropped your head into your hands. Kankri picked up a piece a paper below you, looking it over quickly before smiling. "Ah this isn't hard at all. Here-" He grabbed your pencil and sketched something down. "This is the answer for this one. I'll help you." He handed the paper back so you could see he had written down the answer. You couldn't help the smile growing on your face. "Thank you."

"Why did you have to do this!?" The world was silent, besides your crying. The stage he was chained too was now abandoned. You were too late to help him. The one you've known since you were kids. He was your best friend, but now... "Why couldn't you have just given up? You would still be alive if you had just.." You sniffed, resting against his chest, where his heartbeat had gone silent. "No. That's not right. That's not your style, is it?"

"You're totally cheating!" You flicked over your game piece and fell back in your chair. "There's no way you're this good."
A small sound of laughter came from Kankri sitting across from you. "Ah i'm not. You're just not a very good player."
Rolling your eyes, you pulled yourself back up. "Not a very good player my ass. Best two out of three." You picked it back up and rolled the dice, hearing the clatter of the pieces in your hand, you stared him off, making sure you didn't miss him trying to rig the game or something.

"Even when you chose The Disciple..." You choked back. "I still wanted to be there for you and protect you. If only I had told you my feelings sooner." You shook your head, then pulled yourself to your feet, looking down at his body once more, covered in the shining red blood. "You didn't die for nothing." You let your gaze falter away and move to the empty field where a crowd once stood. You had heard their screaming voices, the cheering of highbloods, the crying of loved ones, but now if was so quiet. You had tried to come in time but it was to no avail. Something flickered in your stomach, and you knew instantly. It was anger.

"This is ridiculous, (y/n)." Kankri groaned, keeping a steady gaze on the clouds above."Alright, fine. Umm.." He tapped his chin then smiled. "That one. Do you see?" He pointed up to one right above you. "That one looks like a cluckbeast."
You followed his gaze, seeing the cloud he was gesturing too then grinned. "It does! And the one next to it looks like an angry lucus."
You both began laughing. After a while, Kankri pulled himself up off the grass and let out a yawn, stretching his arms out. "Well, perhaps it's time I return to my hive."
"Awww." You grabbed a hold of his sleeve and gave it a quick tug. "Just a little bit longer, please? I'm having fun."
He pulled his arm away and cleared his throat. "Physical contact, (y/n). Please refrain from it."
"Is your underwear too tight or something?" You joked, then sighed. "Fine. But i'll walk with you!"

How could they? How could did kill him? How could they destory everything he'd been working for because of a color? Because of a rank? You would make sure nobody ever forgot this dreadful day and that everyone would remember. Kankri, the Signless, the Sufferer, not as a mutant or a rebel, but as a friend and a loved one.

((Honestly something I started last year but I'm lazy????))