Chapter 4: Siblings

Start from the beginning

Peter and Susan rounded the corner behind Amelia, almost running straight into her. They both stared on in shock.

Then, as if to add to the party, the Macready stalked down the hall, her shrill voice echoing throughout the large house, "You children are one shenanigan shy of sleeping in the stable-oh, professor..." she trailed off once she laid her eyes on the scene before her, "I'm sorry. I told them you were not to be disturbed."

"It's quite alright, Mrs. Macready – I'm sure there is a logical explanation," The Professor said, his voice thick with understanding, "but first, I think this one is need of a little hot chocolate."

Lucy gingerly followed the Macready who had an arm placed comfortingly around her shoulder as they walked – presumably – down to the kitchen. Amelia, Peter, and Susan seemed to think as one since all three tried to quietly sneak off in hopes of catching some more sleep before the night ended. The Professor was quick to clear his throat and all three children stopped in their tracks.

"I think it best if you three follow me."

He led them to his office. It was guarded by a large wooden door, but Amelia was too nervous to feel safe. She had that gnawing feeling in the pit of her stomach. She felt like she was back in school and had been called to the principal's office because she threw her school bag at the window that had been adorned with twisting and changing raindrops. She didn't mean to throw the bag, but she couldn't help it. The roaring lion had given her such a fright and it resulted in her breaking the window on the wettest day of the year.

"You seem to have upset the internal balance of my housekeeper," The Professor coolly stated, lighting his tobacco pipe. Amelia's lip curled distastefully at the smoke and she decided to let the two siblings do the talking. They were the ones responsible for Lucy anyway, but besides that, Amelia was too afraid she would start yelling at them for not believing their younger sister.

"We're very sorry sir, it won't happen again." Peter quickly apologised before grabbing hold of Susan and Amelia's robes, prepared to leave, but Susan remained rooted.

"It's our sister, sir" Susan stated with slight desperation.

"The weeping girl?" The Professor asked.

"Yes sir," Susan confirmed, "She's upset."

"Hence the weeping," Amelia let out a slight laugh at his sarcasm. She was starting to like this man who had so graciously provided her with shelter. His humour was... flattering to the situation.

"It's nothing," Peter quickly answered, "We can handle it."

"Oh, I can see that." This only made Amelia smile more as she stood off to the side, preparing herself for the lecture she knew the siblings were about to get. Serves them right, she grumpily thought.

Susan took a deep breath before explaining, "She thinks she's found a magical land, in the upstairs wardrobe."

The Professor was suddenly on his feet at Susan's words, causing Amelia to jump. He gestured for the three of them to sit on the couches filling up the room, taking his own seat in one of the remaining armchairs.

"What did you say?" The Professor asked. Amelia did not miss the slight gleam in his eye as he looked at the two Pevensies. Amelia seemed to be at a disregard and she was fine with that.

"Um, the upstairs wardrobe," Peter elaborated, "Lucy thinks she's found a forest inside."

"She won't stop going on about it!" Susan complained.

"...and she made up this whole story about how Edmund and Amelia went with her."

The Professor raised an eyebrow and glanced at Amelia for the first time this evening.