Chapter 47

Our plan aside, we had to focus on our play for now until the next tea party. Iris's friends still hated us which I could understand and they glared at me the whole class, not daring to look at Astéria. Somehow the class approved my idea of play and we started writing together. I had no idea how they agreed to it but that wasn't important. Only the outcome mattered.

There was a kind of awkwardness at first but soon people got into it and we discussed the story in a good vibe. It took us two days to work out the details and two more non stop writing and rereading. It still wasn't perfect but good enough for us to start talking about roles and decors. I spent so much time on this play that I started even dreaming about it. We kind of gave up on the romance a bit because the wizard story was heavy enough as it was and we didn't want to hold a three hour long show and shortening it down also helped us finish in time. After we finished writing, we moved on to auditions and we needed a main character, three bullies and five new friends.

The class got divided into different sectors and everyone did their best to create the best show ever. I started relaxing and having fun too, forgetting about everything stressful that had happened but that was when Azore decided to turn to me:

"Why don't you play the main character?"

I frowned. The main character who I completely wrote after Astéria? I couldn't imagine anyone else playing her other than the female lead and didn't want to steal her role. This was about a wizard being persecuted and finally being happy. This wasn't my story, it was obvious whose it was.

"No. I by far prefer to be the director. And maybe I could play one of the new friends."

If Astéria could see me as a positive figure then that would help a lot. But when I turned to Astéria to ask her to audition for the main character she shook her head.

"I am not interested in that role.

-What? Why not?"

I wrote that for you!

"You should always be the main character."

But this wasn't about me!

"She is right, Poehina. It was your idea, you wrote it... You did most of the work. Might as well be the main character.

-But... I can't.

-Why not?

-I... I really wanted to see Astéria play that role."

I didn't know what else to do other than be honest.

"I..."

It was a bit awkward. Everyone knew that she was being discriminated against for being a wizard but it was another thing saying it out loud. I didn't want to make her uncomfortable.

"I will."

I was surprised by how easily she changed her mind and how excited she was about her role. I heard people whisper and started getting angry but seeing how touched Astéria was I could just smile. I was happy that I wrote that role and nothing was going to destroy my day. Most people were uncomfortable with Astéria being the main character because it would mean way too much interacting with her but I wasn't worried because I knew she would convince everyone. In fact, when the auditions arrived everyone had to agree that she was a perfect actor. She was acting all day anyway. This was nothing for her. Therefore people had no choice but to give her the role.

I did want a small role too as one of the new friends Astéria would make in the play and Iris's friends saw this occasion as the perfect occasion to bully me. Now that Astéria was the main character I could relax and went around to make sure everything would be perfect. But being way too invested in the script and the decors I came to the group responsible for the roles later and they had already chosen a few people. Iselota one of Iris's friends smiled when I came up to them: