Card Games (Lando Calrissian)

Start from the beginning

"He's stubborn sure, but he isn't stupid," you rebuked while slowly pulling your hand away from Han's, "In his line of work, he needs protection."

Han looked between you and Lando, then nodded, "Looks like you're quite loyal to your boss. I take back what I said— he's a good guy."

Solo doesn't seem like he'd be loyal to anyone. He appeared to be more of a criminal than even Lando was, and that was an achievement in itself.
Before Lando could show the guest inside his pub, a giant Wookiee approached. You had never anticipated a Wookiee to come to Lando's property, but here he was.

"This is Chewbacca," Han said, introducing the beast, "We saved each other a few rotations back, and he's become a good friend. I hope you won't have any issues with that."

Lando shook his head and opened the door for the man and Wookiee combo, "None at all. Please, come on in and make yourselves at home."

Han walked in first, followed by Chewbacca, Lando, then you. You shut and locked the door behind the four of you so no one would get any funny ideas. It wouldn't surprise you if someone would try to sneak in and steal all of Lando's treasures while he was distracted with the pilot and Wookiee.
There were already a few customers lined along the walls; serious looks on their face. Lando had a very serious reputation to keep— a lot of these people were sponsors.

Lando sat down in his normal spot; his cockiness emanating very strongly, "We need to set down some ground rules, Solo. First of all, I need to know what you intend to take from me."

Lando already knew why Han was here. He wanted the Millennium Falcon, but your boyfriend needed to make it officially known to the sponsors what Solo's intentions were.

"I want your ship, Lando," Han said, matching the level of confidence and cockiness that Calrissian expressed, "Chewie and I need a ride off this rock and get as far away from the outer rim as we can. The Falcon is a good way to do it."

The sponsors began mumbling amongst themselves as Lando grabbed his card deck, "You claim the bet, I claim the game. We are playing Sabacc."

You couldn't help but smirk. Your boyfriend was always great at captivating a crowd, and now was no different. This was a high-stakes game, and that was what helped bring the money in for you and Lando.
Chewie let out a nervous grumbled, which resulted in Han petting the beast's arm,
"Good. That's just the game I was wanting to play."

A dealer approached; a green and white patterned Twi'lek male. He quickly went over the rules, although he knew both men had played Sabacc before. Once he finished, he placed the deck on the table and dealt out both men's cards.

The anticipation was killing you. You were so nervous... but that didn't mean you lacked confidence in Lando. You were more confident in him than he was with himself.
It was just how high-stakes this was. Han Solo rarely betted on something this huge. Likely, the man was in trouble with the law and needed a scapegoat. You did not want Lando to get tangled in any of that.

The game started— Lando having a significant lead. A lead large enough to cause Han and the Wookiee to begin sweating, but it was too early to tell. In games like Sabacc, it was unwise to call a game early or get cocky.
Lando put more significant cards down... you knew sometimes Lando would cheat if the stakes were high enough, but he promised you he wouldn't do it this time. Betting against someone like Han for something like the Millennium Falcon was too risky. Lando could lose his licensing on the property.