10 | golden hair

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟎.

| golden hair |

❝𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐬 𝐦𝐞 𝐦𝐮𝐜𝐡?❞

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑'𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐄.

no matter who you ship, i think we can all agree nikolai is awesome.

~𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐥𝐲

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

𝐈 𝐖𝐀𝐒 still pondering over what the markings on the map meant.

I sighed. I had racked my brain for hours on end, to no avail. Now those seven letters even haunted my dreams at night. Maybe I should consult Mal, Nikolai, Genya, Zoya - the group of them camped out in the forest...

Saints.

Mal, Nikolai, Genya, Zoya, Tolya, Tamar, David. M, N, G, Z, T, T, D.

I knew what the markings meant now.

The Darkling had found them.

Oh my god. Oh my god.

I needed to find a way to warn them.

Hasty plans formed in my mind. I would go to the stables today, and follow Genya's instructions to their camp in the forest...

Yes, that's what I'd do.

I walked out of my room with determination and crept out of the palace, to the stables. Luckily, the Darkling was at a meeting, so he couldn't have seen me, and no one was currently tending to the horses. For once, luck was in my favour - a very rare occasion.

As I was about to walk into the forest, a particular horse caught my eye. It was paddocked in an especially lavish stable - and its glossy, shiny coat was as dark as the midnight sky, a beautiful, resonating deep blue close to black.

I inspected the plaque tacked to the stable door, and found out that it was a male stallion, as well as that its name was Nightlock. [Lil surprise for hunger games fans lmao]

"Hey there, Nightlock," I whispered, caressing its mane softly. I assumed this was the Darkling's horse, given it matched his emo aesthetic so well.

Nightlock gave a small whimper as I stroked it. I couldn't expect that the Darkling treated him very well. [For this scene I took inspiration from another fic, don't rmb which, but creds to the author!]

"The Shadow King doesn't give you much affection, does he?" I ask softly. His dark eyes seemed to look at my face, and I smiled.

"Well, that's about to change," I said as I opened the doors and climbed onto his back. Almost instinctively, he canted into a trot.

Riding a horse was...exhilarating. It let me escape from the bitter truths of reality, let me leave my problems behind and just be. I relished the wind whipping in my hair, the sand on the ground flying up to meet my face, the rhythmic movements of his strides.

I loved it.

After half an hour of riding, I came to a big rock - two metres high, as Genya had described.

I stopped Nightlock and got down, missing the adrenaline almost at once.

"Alina! Alina!"

I turned around immediately. A flash of golden hair and a simply dazzling smile.

"Oh, Nikolai," I nearly sobbed, running over to meet him.

"Miss me much?" he chortled.

I collided into his arms, and we stayed like that for a while, wrapped in each other's embrace.

Over his shoulder, I saw the rest of them, and Mal.

Mal.

My eyes met his blue gaze crackling with electric intensity, and in that second, my heart felt whole. Complete.

I just wished I could stay in that moment forever.

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆