2 | monster

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐.

| monster |

❝𝐬𝐚𝐲 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠.❞

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑'𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐄.

demon in the wood emotionally wrecked me i was not prepared for this

~𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐥𝐲

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

𝐈 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 feel the cold iron of them around my wrists, binding me to my fate.

My chains made clinking sounds every time I so much as moved, and my arms were twisted painfully behind my back. I knew I would find blisters on my wrists if I removed them, not like the un-smiling oprichniki in front of me would care.

I could feel him shift beside me, shadows at his feet. I wasn't even sure if he noticed he was summoning.

"Say something."

Something in me snapped. "What do you want me to say?" I bit out. "That I hate you? That you're a monster? That I wish you were dead? Because I'm sure you already know all that."

The Darkling remained impassive at my harsh words. He didn't even flinch, the bastard. "Yes, Alina," he said coolly. "But you will find that being a monster eventually pays off more than it does to be weak and have mercy." He said the last word like something sour, something repulsive on his tongue.

I scoffed, looking out the window. "Having a heart doesn't make you weak."

He lifted one eyebrow, though he didn't look at me. "Does it? I forget you're still so young, Alina. Eternity will break you. And when that happens, you won't be saying the same thing."

I rolled my eyes defiantly. "Guess we'll find out. Unless you kill me before that, of course."

A ghost of a smile passed over his face, just the barest twitch of his lips. "I intend to keep you alive, Alina. But you might want to think about the lives of your friends, if you continue to disobey me."

The air left my chest.

His words may as well have been a dagger, plunging straight into me. It felt like I'd been dunked in cold water.

My friends.

I would not let them die. It wasn't fair as it was, letting them risk life and limb for me. It wasn't right.

Nothing about this was right.

The Darkling finally turned his head towards me. "You see, Alina? You will never best me."

I whipped my head towards him, teeth clenched together so tight my jaw hurt. "I will, one day. And when I do, you will pay. When I do, I'll make sure you're reduced to nothing more than ash and bone."

The Darkling chuckled - chuckled. I wanted to punch his handsome face.

Then I felt his breath fan my face, and suddenly I was acutely aware we were only millimeters away.

I stopped breathing.

No! He's the Darkling! He's a monster!

I pulled away abruptly and focused on the scenery outside the window.

I felt stupid. I couldn't even control my own feelings. How was I supposed to rescue all of my friends?

"With time," he drawled, reminding me I was bound to him for a very long eternity, "you will tire of fighting me. I have always welcomed you with open arms Alina, but you should know I've been generous."

I was too tired to growl back a response. 

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

Monster. Monster. Monster.

The words echoed in my head, ringing with truth. Yet, I couldn't deny the things I felt when we were together. 

It was wrong. All of this was wrong.

As I was marched into the Little Palace, with oprichniki flanking both my sides, doubt warred in my heart. I mentally scolded myself - the last thing I should've been doing was fraternising with the enemy, who happened to hold all my friends hostage. 

The Darkling trailed beside me, always keeping an even pace. I was sure he could feel my glare digging into the side of his head, but he never acknowledged it. 

I wished looks could kill. Then all this would be over.

Some tiny, rebellious part of me protested, You know you can't kill him. I blocked it from my mind, yet it kept needling at me, over and over again, like a relentless broken record.

You know you can't kill him.

I would have to. 

Or the blood of my friends would be on my hands.

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆