Chapter 17- Two Tales

Start from the beginning

Panic set in.

"Listen," Baptiste whispered.

Annabelle breathed, listening keenly. It was Emily's heartbeat. She was still alive. It was a weak beat, but it was there. A weight had been lifted from the older woman's shoulders. Her fears had been outlived and Emily survived the birth of her heir.

"Here," the man spoke again. He gently placed the baby into Annabelle's open arms. The dark-haired woman held her breath, unwillingly. The infant couldn't weigh more than seven pounds. He felt light as a feather in her arms. He didn't cry, his lips only pouted with his eyes still closed.

"I'll take care of her." Baptiste motioned to the blonde who was passed out in the bed.

She crossed the room in a few large steps, planting herself on the plush couch. They had never thought of names, and she wouldn't choose one without Emily. So, for now, he would simply be 'my boy'. The baby lay in her arms, eyebrows furrowing, and he struggled to open his eyes. There was a thin tuft of ginger hair on his head, reminding Annabelle so much of her mother's own auburn curls.

She gave a quick glance over at the bed where Baptiste had begun cleaning the younger woman off. He summoned a helper, who joined shortly after. They removed Emily's clothes and wiped her down. The blonde's eyes remained closed as she let out soft murmurs in what appeared to be her sleep.

The queen turned her attention back to the baby in her arms, her eyes widening as she was met with large gray orbs with golden flecks staring at her questioningly.

***

The young boy shrieked, shuddering as a rat scurried across his foot. It was damp, muddy and cold in there.

"Shut that boy up." The vampire sneered.

The older blonde grabbed the boy's hand, pulling him beside her. "Manny what did I say?"
"We're going to surprise Emily?" the young boy finished.
"Right," she smiled. "And it's only a surprise if we're super quiet."

Emanuel nodded, trying to avert his eyes from the filth as they waded through the tunnel. He had more questions. Why couldn't they just knock on the door? Why did it feel like they were doing something they shouldn't be? He knew not to ask those questions; it would only make the bad man angry.

The boy hadn't seen his sister in person in almost a year. They had grown quite close in the months that they thought their mother had passed away. Emily did everything for him. He was almost nervous to see her again. Manny had grown a bit taller since they've last seen each other, he wondered if his older sister would be surprised at him.

"How much further?"
The 'bad man' clutched his forehead. "Lena, please..."
The boy's mother chided him. "Not far now Manny, just keep walking."

The man was pale, even for a vampire. Perhaps it was his deeds. Manny had witnessed him do a lot of bad things in the few months that he's known him. Geoffrey, his mother called him. So, it was a fair assumption that it was indeed the man's name.

"You know what? I could have gotten you both through the front gates if you stuck to the original plan." The annoyance on his tone echoed in tunnel. "But no, you had to interfere with the girl."

"By the girl, are you referring to my daughter?" the older blonde huffed. "Don't get ahead of yourself Geoffrey. We wouldn't have gotten this far without my intervention. This was my plan long before you got involved."

Manny walked silently, eavesdropping between the two.

"And why wouldn't I try to get my daughter on board? She hasn't had much of a say in everything that's happened, I gave her a choice."