Chapter 43- Saber's POV

Start from the beginning

-To the others."

I frowned before following Astéria to her mansion's basement where there were about ten cells, most of them filled with people. They shivered as soon as they saw us arrive and retreated as far away as they could. The teacher was thrown into an empty cell and Astéria locked it. Her face was expressionless and I shivered. Astéria turned away and walked up the stairs, me close behind her.

"Leave.

-No thank you, I don't want tea. But it's very nice of you to ask."

Astéria glared at me and I forced myself not to retreat.

"What are you going to do to that woman?

-Nothing.

-I wonder why I am not convinced.

-She'll be fired by tomorrow. No one will hear about this incident."

I pretended to lock my mouth:

"I am a grave."

I would have loved to stay more but I was exhausted. I wanted to go home and sleep but I had to go to the palace for tea. I went there once every now and then and I hated it. Sverre was being very polite but he didn't hide the fact that he didn't want me there. I didn't care but couldn't help being frustrated. Did you think that I wanted to be here? I had other plans too but you put me in this situation. It was entirely on you! And what did you mean you didn't want to marry me? I was a catch. Anyone would have killed to have me by their side. Was he blind? I mean... Yes but that wasn't what I meant.

Despite being irritated to death by this guy, I had to continue acting as the madly in love person I was supposed to be and to do my best to get closer to him. The King had been very specific: I needed to get close to Sverre. I wasn't going to spy on him or anything. The King only needed someone by his side if he ever needed Sverre to do something. Moreover a beautiful love story was a positive image and that was what his son needed. Not that the King cared about his happiness. He was ashamed of his son and needed him to disappear in a marriage until Alastair was old enough to ascend to the throne.

"I baked this cake myself. I used roses for the cream.

-I thank you for your kind attention."

Not seeing the reaction I wanted, I had to add:

"Because roses are the symbol of love."

Still nothing. I rolled my eyes. I seduced a lot of men into my bed both for my job and outside of it. Why was this guy being so complicated? I already tried being touchy and flirty with him but he only pushed me back with a disgusted face. I wasn't going to force him to touch me so I only had sweet thoughts left. This was hard. Usually it was enough to smile to have men at my feet but this one was different. Why did he have to be so complicated? He never had a girlfriend. He must be all shy and excited at the idea of having someone in love with him. This was driving me crazy!

"This is so nice!"

Fortunately Alastair was there to save the day. I knew that he wanted something from me but for now he just flattered and complimented me when Sverre ignored me and that was more to my liking.

"Wow! This tastes really good. You have a talent for this, Miss Saber."

He turned around and handed his best friend, Jeronim, a piece of my cake. The latter was always following Alastair around and I heard that he was studying to be his personal knight. He never talked and never participated in the conversation. He just stood there straight as a pillar. Despite this he wasn't uncomfortable to be around because he always smiled warmly when our eyes met. I kind of liked him and felt bad that he had to follow Alastair everywhere around. He didn't seem to think the same thing however because a slight blush appeared on Jeronim's cheeks and he tasted the cake handed to him straight from Alastair's hand. Having grown up together, they must have known each other well.

"It really is good."

The crown prince smiled:

"Right? I am so happy that you are here Miss Saber. Our tea parties were never as lively before."

I held back from rolling my eyes and just smiled. Of course he never spent any time with his brother before. Just tell me what you want. I was busy enough as it was.

"I heard that you also attended the tea party at Poehina's mansion. Was ours a bit as entertaining as hers?

-It is. Poehina was so nice and organized a tea party to help me get to know our classmates.

-That is really nice of her. Poehina always looks out for others and she really enjoys tea parties. Maybe you could come with her next time."

Being really uncomfortable I immediately agreed. Sorry Poehina and sorry Astéria but I was tired. I couldn't take it anymore. Killing people was way easier than having to look after a psycho killer and having to spend exhausting hours talking to an annoying self centered crown prince and his brother that ignored you from beginning to end. Poehina was an adorable person and I liked her very much. I wanted to get closer to her and this way I could see her more without a crazy dog glaring at me. Moreover she was strong and was the only person in this stupid city that wasn't crazy and annoying. She would surely help me. She kind of owed me after dumping Astéria on me. I noticed that she left us alone as soon as Astéria and I became "friends".

However I didn't think that the end of the tea party idea would turn into a bloodbath. A minister that was against the King's ideas decided to use the fact that Poehina broke up with the Prince to his advantage. Other people didn't know yet but Ministers found out and he thought that after killing her he could accuse Alastair of doing so and could get him off the throne. I immediately noticed that we were being followed but the next second they were gone and I had a terrible feeling. After tea I immediately rushed to Astéria's basement and sure enough what I saw made my blood freeze.

Astéria was crouching there, covered in blood, pressing on someone's neck. I wanted to run up to her but had to jump over tens of bloody bodies. When I finally reached her I screamed:

"What are you going again? I thought we said no killing!

-I am healing him. He is losing too much blood.

-Why would you pull his vocal strings out if it is to cure him afterwards?

-She told me not to kill. But she said that we could fight back if they started. He can't die. He wanted to hurt her. He'll have to suffer."

Astéria's eyes were terrifying.