nine

✧ ✧ ✧

✧ ✧ ✧

Ruelle's eyes squeezed shut as her heart pounded in her chest. For a quick moment it was all she could hear, completely unaware to how her name was being repeated over and over in disbelief. She knew who stood before her, yet couldn't bring herself to lift her gaze from where her eyes were locked on a pair of worn leather boots. "Ellie?" Her heart clenched a second time when she finally heard the nickname. Her nickname, nearly forgotten from many years of disuse.

As her courage grew within her heart, she finally raised her eyes. Her chin tipping up as her eyes trailed his body up until their eyes met. Or at least Ruelle's cobalt eyes locked onto a combination of russet and metallic gold. His amber locks had grown out far longer than she had ever seen him with before. Falling over his shoulders in waves that nearly matched her own. He was still just as devastatingly beautiful as she remembered despite the deep scar that trailed across his face, from the middle of his forehead to just underneath an eye. "Lucien?" It was nearly a whisper, but he heard it. The way her voice nearly broke as she said his name.

Lucien looked Ruelle up and down as well, eyebrows narrowed deeply as his mouth fell wide open. "What the hell are you doing here?" He was just as shocked as she was.

With a shake of her head, Ruelle couldn't help the way her feet began to swiftly move herself into Lucien Vanserra's embrace. With her arms wrapped tightly around his neck, she breathed in his scent. The scent of cloves and fallen leaves, the scent of Autumn. As soon as Ruelle leapt into his embrace, his own arms nestled around her waist. His hands sprawled out across her back, giving her a reassuring squeeze. Lucien was the first to pull away, eyes looking her up and down. "How are you here?" He asked again, a slightly different question but still hoping to get an answer.

Ruelle took a small step back, putting an arm's length of space between them. Just far enough back that the scent of him wasn't quite as overwhelming. "Me?" She replied, her tone just as shocked as his own.

Lucien scoffed, "Yes, you. Last I knew, you were still enjoying your life living as a recluse."

Ruelle returned Lucien's scoff, opening her mouth to speak but finding herself unable to find the words that expressed what she wanted to say. Promptly, she shut her mouth. Low whispers met her ears as the sudden realization that the members of the Night Court stood at her back. She casted a glance over her shoulder, eyes wandering over the group. All looking as shocked as Ruelle felt.

"Care to explain how you two know each other?" Rhysand called out, the Inner Circle beginning to approach the two auburn haired fae.

Ruelle looked to Lucien, he shrugged, she took it as his way of telling her that she could be the one to answer the question. That she could decide which truths to tell. Turning back to Rhysand she said, "What, did the bright red hair not give any hints that I am from Autumn?" Her words held the essence of a joke, but it was clear she wasn't finding the situation very comical.