eight

✧ ✧ ✧

✧ ✧ ✧

After spending the majority of the hours of night wide awake, seated on the floor of her room, leaning against the wooden frame of her four poster bed; Ruelle finally was overcome with sleep as the morning sun began to replace the stars that twinkled in the open sky of Velaris. Ruelle spent the entirety of her short sleep dreaming. But they weren't truly dreams. No. Not dreams at all -- they were nightmares. But the nightmares that plagued her mind were not just nightmares-- No. They were memories. Memories of the most horrible things Ruelle had witnessed in her long life.

Ruelle had abruptly left Azriel in the library last night, unable to calm herself down as she thought of the memories of her family that had been locked away so tight within her mind. For some reason they were swimming to the surface, and she would not let Azriel watch as she fell apart because of them. Throughout her time in Velaris a part of her opened up. A withered, dusty part of her that had sat dormant for centuries. A vulnerable part of her; a part that she wasn't ready for others to see. She wasn't entirely certain why the walls within her mind had begun to crumble away. Though she thought perhaps it was due to the time spent with the people here in the Night Court. They were a family, a very dysfunctional family as far as Ruelle could tell, but a family in the definition of the word. A group of people who had come together to support one another no matter the circumstances. And boy, did this group have quite the history.

The soft sound of a fist tapping against the outside of her bedroom door began to pull Ruelle from her fitful sleep. Her body ached from laying on her side atop the hard wood floor for most of the night. With the softest whisper of a groan, she pulled herself to a sitting position. Tilting her head to the side; first the left then the right as the stiffness in her neck eased with a soft pop.

The knock sounded again.

Glancing back towards the door across the room, she pulled herself off the floor completely. Stretching out her limbs rather ungracefully as she waddled towards the door. As she stood before it, wondering who was on the other side, her hands smoothed over the frizz of her curls before grasping the handle and giving it a tug.

A friendly smile was waiting for her as she pulled the door fully open. Feyre, with her hair tied tightly into a ponytail a top her head and clothes for lounging laid loosely on her body. Feyre looked Ruelle over as well, quickly noticing her still disheveled hair and the way her eyes were brimmed with red. "I didn't wake you, did I?"

"I don't sleep much," Ruelle responded, not really answering her question.

Feyre nodded, an expression of understanding moving across her features. "I don't want to bother you, but I have a favored I'd like to ask of you."

Ruelle nodded slowly, "And that is?"

"Would you train with me this morning?" Feyre spoke with a soft smile of admiration on her face. "It's just that, the other day watching you train with Cassian was unlike anything I have ever seen before. Cassian is the best warrior in the Night Court, and you had him on his knees before you. You moved so gracefully, with such precision, that you beat him even though he's double your size. I need to be strong like that."