introduction

THE BLOOD WITCH

✧ ✧ ✧

RUELLE
"the blood witch"
"I am not everything I want to be for you. Not yet. But I am learning. Because I want to give you everything, every part of me. You deserve it."

AZRIEL"the shadowsinger""From the first moment I met you, you were always enough

AZRIEL
"the shadowsinger"
"From the first moment I met you, you were always enough."

✧ ✧ ✧

✧ ✧ ✧

PLAYLIST

don't blame me by taylor swift
"Don't blame me, love made me crazy
If it doesn't, you ain't doin' it right"

playground by bea miller
"Tell me your nightmares and fantasies
Sink into the wasteland underneath
Stay for the night, I'll sell you a dream"

maneater by nelly furtado
"She's a maneater, make you work hard
Make you spend hard, make you want all of her love
Wish you never ever met her at all"

happiness is a butterfly by lana del ray
"If he's a serial killer, then what's the worst
That could happen to a girl who's already hurt?
I'm already hurt
If he's as bad as they say, then I guess I'm cursed
Looking into his eyes, I think he's already hurt
He's already hurt"

✧ ✧ ✧

THE NIGHT COURT

A dreadful silence filled the air in a haze like a smoldering fire at the mention of the impending war. They knew it was coming, but that didn't settle the qualms of their minds.

The inner circle of the Night Court sat within the High Lord's study in the Townhouse in Velaris. The group consisted of the High Lord, Rhysand along with his mate and High Lady, Feyre, Amren, a immortal creature from another world that acts as Rhysand's second in command, while Morrigan, his cousin acts as the third in command and well as oversees the Court of Nightmares. Aside from the rulers of the Night Court, Azriel, the shadowsinger and spymaster, and Cassian, the General of Night Court armies were present as well.

"We need allies and fast if Hybern's attack is truly coming so soon," Feyre, the High Lady, spoke to her friends perched on top of the desk in the middle of the room.

"We can't count on Autumn and Spring Courts to be any use, we have to assume they'll side with Hybern," Rhysand spoke to the group. The High Lord sat at his mahogany desk, looking out towards the others. "The celestial courts should side with us, but Winter might need some convincing. And Tarquin might not be on board either after the stunt we pulled."

"Who sided with the humans in the War 500 years ago? Can we count on allies from that War to aid us in this one?" Feyre looked from her mate to the other two Illyrian's in the room.

"I fought along side the Valkyrie, a group of warrior women but their kind was slaughtered in the war, none remain," Cassian said grimly, arms crossed on his chest as he leaned against the far wall.

"Miryam and Drakon would be great allies if we could find them," Azriel began, leaning across the wall opposite of Cassian, "But I went to Cretea, there was no trace that they were there."

"Was it Hybern?" Feyre quickly questioned, worry laced in her tone. Almost fearful to hear the answer.

"There was no evidence of Hybern or an attack, it was like they were never there at all," Azriel explained, voice flat as usual.

"Hybern is going to expect the courts to side together," Morrigan, or Mor as she was known more casually, explained. She leaned forward in the chair she sat it, making her next words feel incredibly important. "We need unexpected allies, that's how we gain the advantage."

"Monsters," Feyre stated as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

"What?" Cassian wasn't sure if he heard his High Lady correctly.

"We can gain an advantage by recruiting monsters," Feyre explained, "I can think of a certain inmate in the prison who'd love nothing more than return to their home world."

"That's actually not a bad idea, girl," Amren chimed in, "But we are going to need more than just the Carver."

"Yes, we know that," Rhysand sighed, himself and his mate had discussed this a few days ago. Although their initial conversation about recruiting the Bone Carver had Rhysand completely against the idea, Feyre had a good point. They were currently planning a visit to the Prison to see if the Carver would agree for a reasonable price.

"I can think of someone," the members of the inner circle found there gaze landing back on Cassian. "She fought with us in the War, but disappeared once the fighting stopped. I don't know her name, not her true one at least, only what they called her behind her back," he sounded slightly ashamed of that. "From what I remember she had the power to control armies, killing them with a snap of her fingers. She had many names," he paused trying to remember the whispers he heard of her 500 years ago, "Some called her the puppeteer, or the angel of death," he trailed off. Feyre felt her blood still at the description of the woman. Mor's mouth fell agape as she put the pieces together.

Azriel's eyes widened as it clicked in his mind who his brother was speaking of. He remembered the woman who strutted across the battlefield with a cloud of red surrounding her finger tips. The way she could kill without breaking a sweat. He couldn't believe it, "The Blood Witch," he breathed, her name like a curse on his tongue.