04 | Hitting Walls

Start from the beginning

Who is she? His thoughts were cut off as the next room over to the girl's opened revealing a togruta woman. It was the jedi. The togruta walked over to the girl's door, pausing in front of it. She stood there for a moment before knocking slowly. There was no answer.

Crosshair watched as the woman turned on her heel, a sad expression etching itself onto her face as she walked towards the mess hall.

"The mess hall," Crosshair groaned, emerging from the closet to head the opposite way. His brothers were probably waiting for him. And he was wasting time in a maintenance closet when he could be eating soup.

Present...

Crosshair leaned against the door, kicking it a few times in a similar pattern as before with his heel. He heard scuffling in the room and the door hissed open, revealing a tear-stained Ry.

"What do you want?" Rylann asked sharply, wiping excess water from her eyes. Her hair was a mess and her cheeks were sunken. She looked exhausted.

Crosshair froze. What was he supposed to do? He was trained for many battle fields but never the emotional wreckages of feelings.

"So, you're not MIA," he said before thinking it through. Now that sounded callous.

Rylann rolled her eyes, smoothing back her hair. "You didn't answer the question, Gramps."

Scowling, Crosshair crossed his arms. "What is it then, am I an indignant toddler or rickety geriatric?"

"You tell me," Rylann shot back, leaning against the door frame of her room. "So, Cross, what's the angle?"

"My brothers miss you," he said, looking her dead in the eyes.

Rylann raised a brow, pursing her lips. "Why did they send you on the diplomatic mission, Mr. Smooth?"

"They didn't," Crosshair said quickly, averting his eyes to the ground.

"Oh," Rylann whispered softly, furrowing her brows slightly as she gazed at him further.

Crosshair quickly looked up, regaining his composure as he readjusted himselt to lean more comfortably on the wall. "Besides, my brothers don't know which room is yours."

Ry scrunched her forehead, frowning. "How do you—"

Crosshair kicked the wall with his back heel. "Sound familiar?"

"You're a real jerk sometimes, you know." Rylann pouted, standing up from the doorway. "Are you sure your defection isn't enhanced displeasure?"

"You think you're so funny," Crosshair snapped, standing up as well, arms still crossed over his chest. Why did she have to be so difficult?

"And you think I'm not?" Rylann smirked. "So Cross, what brings you to my end of the port besides your brothers missing me?"

Crosshair clenched his teeth. This was exactly what he wasn't prepared for. "Mess hall starts in twenty minutes. Was hoping you could come along so they'd stop talking about you."

Rylann's eyes softened at his words. "Oh, thanks," she said, taking a step back. "I need to get freshed up. Want to come in?"

Crosshair shrugged, trying to remain indifferent. "Better than standing out here," he snarled out, following her inside.

"Really?" Rylann asked, raising a brow at Crosshair as the door closed behind him. "I thought you enjoyed to lean in the hallways, brooding to your heart's content."

Crosshair rolled his eyes, scanning over the room. It was fairly neat minus the wrinkles on the bed and laser sword on the floor across the room.

He looked at Rylann who was in the fresher, braiding her hair in the mirror, door open. He could still tell she had cried.