Chapter two: Team Free Will

Start from the beginning

Michael's face paled and he gulped audibly. Eyes wide, he looked around at his nest and then at their food supply. He cursed under his breath. "Everyone, barricade every possible entry. Don't let anyone in and at first chance, run to the trucks and get out of here." He walked down the barn and looked at the terrified, tearstained humans tied to the posts, and glanced at the two young women they had caught a few days ago. "Take these two. It's better we travel light —we can feed off them until we get off their scent." He walked to the back door and started piling anything against it, in a wild, frantic manner.

One of the more battle-ready nest members creased his brow and stepped forward. "Why, Michael? What's so different with these Hunters, that they cause us to go running for the hills?" He chuffed. "Like you said: we have dealt with Hunters before—"

"These are the Winchesters, Daniel!" Michael cut in. "These two brothers aren't like any other Hunters that we have come across. These are Hunters who have saved this damned world from destruction time and time again! These two Hunters have dealt with Angels and Demons, and things that we can't even dream, and have always come out on top!" He walked away from the door and faced Daniel. "These two Hunters were chosen by God and Lucifer themselves. Heck, they even have been to Heaven, Hell and even Purgatory and back! What chance do mere vampires have against them? We are already a dying race."

Daniel's jaw tightened. "We can fight —perhaps kill them. Worth a shot. If they are what you say they are, then there is no point running."

Michael was about to say something back, but suddenly the sound of two sets of heartbeats pounded in his ears. His and everyone else's heads whipped round to the barn door, and they all breathed deeply, taking in that one smell. That beautiful, intoxicating perfume of a vampire's ambrosia. Blood.

It's too late...

Though the smell of blood was tantalising their senses, they weren't excited. Their faces paled and Michael took in a breath. "It's them." He looked around and wondered what to do. Nothing really to do. Can't run now, can't hide, can't barricade themselves in now.

He looked around at some of the nervous members of his nest scramble to the doors and tried to block them. He held up a hand to them. "Leave it," he commanded. He looked at Daniel, then at the shaking and bleeding Eric. "It's too late now." His second teeth started to show.

"Wh-what do we do?" Eric nervously asked.

Michael looked behind him and at the humans. "First kill the spares, get them angry. It will be easier to kill them if they are in a rage. And these humans... Well, they're worthless now." He nodded at Daniel. "And then we fight."

*

At this same moment two figures were rushing through the moonlight, that now shone its face through the freckled sky. They ran, brushing past the fingers of trees that caught their faces, and pushed past the hairs of shrubs that tried to trip them.

They tried to make their way through the winding forest floor, syringes of Dead Man's Blood rattling in their pockets and both of their large knives glistened dangerously and mysteriously in tight-gripped hands. The shine of red marked their machetes and told the story of their time with the creature they were hunting.

Well, they were Hunters after all.

Slowly the forest began to lessen and one Hunter caught sight of a blood speckled tree. The blood looked fresh. He flipped his long brown hair out of his face and continued running, knowing now that they were close to the nest. 

They pushed another round of tree branches out of their way and were suddenly faced with a large clearing. A neglected barn with trucks parked outside it, was perched at the other side of the clearing. Both of them came to a halt and glanced at each other.