𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒 • ℙ𝕒𝕕𝕣𝕒𝕪𝕒

Start from the beginning

        "I know that, Alina."

        "Do you?" I ask promptly. "You heard the man in the cell. They weren't the only ones that had this crazy idea of the Fold being something to be worshipped and respected. Those people most likely hate me as much as the prisoners did. Promise me that if one of them comes after me again, you won't turn back into—"

        "A monster?" he finishes, quirking his brow at me. We both know that's what I meant, even if I wouldn't say it aloud.

        "Promise me you won't let all the things you've done to change in this past year be in vain."

        He sighs and leans in, pressing a ghost of a kiss on my lips, reminding me that he isn't actually here. "I will do many things to appease you, Alina." I smile, thinking he is about to succumb, but then he says, "however, sacrificing your and Amelia's safety is not one of them." His face hardens. "You are not to leave this room, Alina. We will do a sweep of the Palace to make sure it is safe and test every worker to make sure they have your safety as their top priority. I will bring Amelia to you, and you will both stay here."

        I stand up, clenching my fists. "You can't keep me in here!"

        "I can, and I did."

        Then, there is a click on the other end of the room. It was the lock on our bedroom door. I ran over and yanked on the handle, but it wouldn't budge. I banged on the wood, but there was no answer.

        "I am doing this for your own good, Alina. I cannot lose you. You will be safest in here."

        I turn to face him, but he is already gone, vanished back to whatever part of the palace he came from.

        "Coward!" I yell uselessly into the shadows of our empty chambers.

        About ten minutes after our conversation, there is a trail of smoke coming out of my ears as I pace back and forth. It only stops when I hear the lock click again. The door opens only slightly, and Amelia comes running in. As soon as we reunite in a tight embrace, the door slams shut and locks again. A frustrated puff of air leaves my lips as Amelia clings to me tighter.

        "Why is padraya  <Father>  doing this? Did I do something wrong?"

        I sink down to my knees to meet her teary eyes. "No, my Amelia. You did nothing to cause this, I promise."

        "Then why did he tell me that I can't leave?"

        I sigh and explain to her that, "The Darkling is scared. Someone who wasn't supposed to be in the palace tried to hurt me. He is doing the wrong thing with the right intentions."

        She nods in a bit of understanding. I wipe the hot tears from her cheeks and kiss her forehead. Then, I carry her to the bed and slide her under the sheets before lying beside her.

        It doesn't take her long to fall asleep, but for me, I finally slip into a not-so-peaceful sleep an hour after her. I thought I would have nightmares from all the stress, but I find a more pleasant dream awaiting me. It is more of a memory, really.

        The dream starts when Amelia ran off without anyone's knowledge of where she went. Aleks and I searched for her for an hour straight. Once we finally found her outside, playing in the garden, Aleksander asked her where she's been (a bit more forcefully than needed). This was near the beginning of the adoption, so he was still learning how to become less. . . Darkling-like around her.