Tired

Tuesday, August 25th

Sabrina was exhausted, so exhausted.
And tired. So tired.

She was tired of Amir and everyone else around her treating her like a fragile piece of glass that could break at any moment.

She couldn't do anything anymore.

Sabrina couldn't swim, so all she could do was sit by the pool while Niko swam. But then, someone had to sit out there with her, because if Niko needed to be saved, who would save him?

Not Sabrina.

She couldn't take baths, only showers, but not alone. So she had to wait until Amir was home to take showers with her, just in case something happened.

She couldn't drive her car, doctors wouldn't clear that. Not only because she had major brain surgery, but because she'd had seizures from the injury, so now she had to wait until a certain amount of time with no seizures before they'd let her drive again.

And the honeymoon they postponed, was now canceled because no plane rides, and after driving two days across the country with an angry hormonal Sabrina, Amir decided not to do that again any time soon.

Sabrina couldn't do anything, and she was fucking tired of it.

So she stayed in the room in the bed staring out the window at the view of the beach. The once beautiful view was now another piece of her prison. A reminder of yet another place she couldn't go, and things she couldn't do.

A beautiful multimillion-dollar prison.

"Baby," Amir called her from her thoughts.

She silently responded with her eyebrows.

"You hungry?" He asked, looking down at his phone as he opened the Doordash app.

That's all the conversation they had any more. Are you hungry? Are you tired? Did you take your medicine? etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Sabrina was fed up.

"No Amir, I'm not hungry. No, I'm not tired. No, I'm not in pain. No, I haven't taken anything today. Am I missing anything?" She answered, before laughing bitterly.

Amir looked up at her sadly, not surprised by her outburst. Mood swings were normal in pregnancy, but even worse with head injuries. "I'm tryin', baby. I really am."

"Trying to what exactly? Make me feel useless and broken?"

"I'm listenin' to the doctors. Tryna follow your recovery plan. It's not only about you, anymore."

"This ain't my first time being pregnant, Amir."

"Heard you, but what you not gon do is put the babies at risk all cause you wanna be stubborn."

"Babies. babies. babies. All you ever worried about is the babies. You forget how I got pregnant in the first place?"

Amir frowned, "Whatchu mean?"

"You don't kiss me. You won't touch me, without acting like I'll break. You barely even look at me."

"Sabrina, don't do that, I'm here with you every day."

"Then why do I feel so fucking alone?" She shouted.

He didn't have an answer. He hadn't thought about how she was feeling after all of this.

She continued, "You got everything you wanted. God gave you your wife and children. Now what? You gonna put us on a shelf next to your trophies so we can collect dust too?"

"I'm not gon do this witchu."

"Of course not. Nobody wants a broken toy. I was worth it before, right? Now that you got me where you want me, it's not fun anymore."

Amir stood listening, rolling his tongue on the inside of his cheek. He wanted her to get it all off her chest, but damn it hurt.

"Tell me that you're mad at me, Amir. Tell me that you regret marrying me cause I made a dumb ass decision and fucked everything up. I know that's what it is."

"I don't regret anything, Sabrina."

"Okay, like I believe that," she threw her hands in the air. "You can't hide your feelings. You're disappointed."

Amir kissed his teeth, "The fuck you want me to say, huh? We just got married and instead of us livin' our best life, you take off to save your baby deddy all for that fuck nigga to put his hands on you. I ain't know where the fuck you was for days. You stopped answering my calls and texts."

Sabrina nodded her head, listening. She knew she was wrong when she did it, but damn the consequences, at the time.

"I ain't know what happened to you. Then I find out you in a coma, not sure if you or our child would make it."

"And that's all my fault because I was supposed to choose you and say fuck him, right?" She wailed.

"After all he did to you? Hell yeah, it's fuck that nigga! I'm your husband, Sabrina!" He declared, staring her in the eyes. "That's not some shit I play wit."

Tears poured down Sabrina's eyes as she stared at Amir's own tears trailing down his cheeks as his chest rose and fell. He swiped them away and turned around to walk out of their bedroom.

"Amir wait," she yelled for him to come back, "Don't leave!" When he didn't come back she sat on the floor of their bedroom crying. When she finally heard the front door slam, she knew he was gone.

She grabbed her cell phone off the bed and called herself an Uber. If he wanted to leave, that was fine.

She wouldn't be there when he got back.