3 • Forbidden Fruit 🍓

3
Forbidden Fruit 🍓

You keep an eye on the baby turtle eggs in the canoe the next day. Making sure no birds were trying to eat them.

Your brother thinks you're crazy, and way too invested in, "some stupid turtle fetuses," well your brother is the crazy one that's what. They're baby turtles! They have just as much of a right to live as humans do.

Today was your birthday, and you're feeling 21.

Normally, in previous years, your dad and brother always used to barge in holding up confetti pancakes with a candle poked in the center, but as you grew older they stopped because you valued your privacy..and well the last thing they wanted was to walk in on you getting dressed or in your undergarments.

But, by the knock on your door, it seems old traditions have been welcomed back as Sam kicks your door open and holds your confetti pancakes, the numbers 21 side by side in the center, your dad following close behind with his video camera.

"Dad," you groan, covering your eyes, it felt like you were 10 years old again. It felt annoying but it was so bittersweet. You were growing up to be a fine independent woman.

So naturally your dad was emotionally tearing up behind the camera, making Sam shriek when he notices, "Dad! Seriously? I got ran over a car when I was 7 and I drowned that one time at the beach when I was 10, and you never even shed a tear!"

"She's my baby girl, and...I can't stop the clock...give me a break, Sam." Your dad stops recording and leans into give you a big hug, and gentle kiss on your cheek.

Sam hands you the pancakes, and side hugs you sweetly, one of the rare sides of him.

"Happy 21st, little sis, finally legal and free to get shit face drunk with your big bro...only this year we don't have to hide it from Dad."

Your dad gives you a disappointing look, shaking his head briefly, in disbelief that you let your brother negatively influence you.

"SAM!"

🍓

Ari wakes up in his bed, sitting up as he yawns, and moves the comforter away from his naked frame. Dark blonde hair tickles his forearm as he gets up and looks over his shoulder to see the pretty girl with freckles scattered on her cheek from last night was in his bed.

He raises a brow because this is the first he doesn't remember of a hook up, either he was too high, or drunk, or cross faded to realize he brought this pretty thing home.

Sam and those guys are absolutely wild when it comes to enjoying a night out. It's the reason Ari has stayed longer than he planned to, it's the most fun he's had since before his grandparents passed.

Anyway, Ari grabs his cigarette and places it between his lips, unlike others who'd normally reach for a glass of water, or a cup of coffee.

He slides some random shorts of his on the ground, the house was normally more tidy when his grandma was alive. But he's a young guy with this big house to himself, a house he's barely even in, he's not going to pick up a rag and start cleaning it or organizing it for that matter.

Stepping out to the porch, he hears the birds cawing, and the sun just starting to peek out from the white fluffy clouds, the waves crashing over and over again.

When he brings the cigarette to his mouth the logical voice in his brain is soft but it's still there, and is reminding him he needs to stop. He's slowly killing himself, rotting his lungs...but of course the voice isn't strong enough to convince him.