131. Catching Up

Beginne am Anfang

"That's what happened while we were away," I said, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible when I recovered the ability to speak.

"Okay, now you really need to tell me everything. You're actually dating now?"

"Umm..." I said. "Not sure. Maybe. And I got to play basketball too... heck, I didn't tell you about that, did I?" I added, turning to Hugo. "Did pretty well in the sports day. But I still need to get better."

"I want to see how good you are," Nadine said with a little smirk. "If you've really been playing all summer, you'll surely be better than I ever was."

"Some of the guys are playing this afternoon," Hugo said. "I know you two have a lot to catch up on, so maybe... How about you girls talk about everything that happened in the last week, then if you want you can come watch or join in later. And after that we can talk about this sports day. My parents left me money to get dinner, because they're not back yet, so I can probably treat you. To say thanks for Willow's hospitality the last couple of days."

"That sounds like a plan to me," I said with a smile, and glanced over to make sure Nadine was happy with that. And then we headed into town, and over a couple of milkshakes we talked about all the non-baby stuff that had happened on the beach. Of course, there was a lot that I couldn't mention; but every time I had to skip a part of the story, I got the impression that she thought I'd been focused on my phone, talking to Hugo. I felt that I had to say something, especially when Nadine changed the subject back to the pranks that I'd related in previous years.

I couldn't avoid talking about it forever, and I really wanted to share the story with my best friend. But there were so many things that I didn't fully understand myself, and that I wouldn't know how to say. So after mentioning the day that Lindy had decided to add paprika to my lemonade, I changed the subject by ordering another couple of drinks. And then before we continued the conversation, I asked her how Jim was getting on.

That wasn't such a happy conversation. Her initial joy at meeting the guy had been replaced by a kind of dissatisfaction. I think Nadine knew on some level that she shouldn't be investing so much of her emotional energy in a man so much older than her; but she still felt disappointed. She told me how after convincing her parents that it was safe to see him again, it had kind of taken the fun away for her. I felt sorry for her, and followed tradition by buying her icecream as consolation. But I think she realised now that the problems had been of her own making; and maybe even that maturity could mean thinking about the consequences of her actions, more than thinking about sex.

"Anyway..." she said, and I knew that I couldn't keep putting it off. I explained some of the bits that mattered. That Hugo's parents were away, and they had dropped him off at the beach house on the way to wherever he was going. And after a little prodding, I admitted that I'd been treated like a baby as punishment for something Lindy claimed I had done. I didn't go into all the details. But I said that there was something we hadn't talked about too much; that we'd realised me and Hugo enjoyed spending time together whatever we were doing. Even if he was being the babysitter and talking down to me like I was a little kid, while I had big mittens on that meant I couldn't pick anything up by myself.

"Wow," she said. "So... when did it go to actually dating?"

"When you asked, I think. We never actually said it, just talked about how much I enjoy his company and that. I think it's like a line in the sand, how you define a relationship. And maybe we crossed it without actually saying it. I didn't know he felt that way until this morning. But with how close we were getting, I think it was always there."

"So did you guys... you know?"

"Not yet. That'll come when it feels right. I mean... I don't think we need to make out or something just to make it 'official' or anything. We enjoy being together. We can chat. And we both know that all the other stuff is on the table when we feel like it. That's the important thing, right?"

"I guess. I think everybody we know makes it a big deal, but I can see how happy you are. Even when you're trying to hide it. So... I guess that's one way to do it. Why are you always so grown-up about stuff like this?"

I could have laughed then. But I changed the subject instead. We talked about all kinds of things, like we'd been out of touch the whole summer instead of just a week. We talked all morning, and then got breakfast. And before long, Hugo and Jaycen joined us. We all had so much to talk about, but the big topic turned out to be my performance at the sports day. I was actually surprised that Hugo hadn't heard about my performance already; I'd thought Mum would have told him about it while I was still a baby. Some time last night, she'd sent me a link to all her photos and videos of the event, as well as all the places she had found me in the official recordings on the event webpage. I could only guess that she thought I should be the one to share those images with my friends; especially the clip that showed me falling down at the end of the descent.

I called up the videos on my phone, and showed them my performance in the race. Whem it came to the basketball matches – which I was surprised to find there were videos of every match – Hugo wanted to comment on my performance, and asked me to send him the link so that he could stand his tablet on the table and watch on a larger screen. I could tell that Nadine was impressed.

"You look like a real player," she said. "I mean... I've seen you play basketball before, but in an actual competition, you look like you know what you're doing. You could be a pro, more than any of the ones around you."

"I don't know," Hugo said. "The guy with the beard has obviously had a lot of practice. Think you've got a fairly solid team there."

"Gimli was the one that surprised me," I said... and then blushed. "I mean... we didn't get each other's real names, so we were using nicknames the whole time. Gimli because he's the shortest player in the league. Might not have the coordination or the physique to excel, but he put the effort in, and he had a real knack for tactics. Reading the opposing teams and telling us their weaknesses."

"He's the one suggesting the diamond press here?" Jaycen pointed at the screen. "I could tell there's somebody on your team who's done semi-pro."

"Yeah. It was a real mixed bag, but we got some good guys."

"I wish I could understand this stuff," Nadine mumbled.

"Sorry," Hugo said with a shrug. "You've got to admit, Sally's really holding her own, for someone who's been playing less than a year."

"And I should say sorry," she said. "I said I wanted to learn, but it was just an excuse to spend time with you. I never paid attention to the sport. If I'd listened, maybe I'd know what you were talking about. And I'm interested now."

"Maybe you should try again," Jaycen said. "How about it? We could play two on two, you and Hugo against me and Sally this afternoon. See if you had the potential."

"Why not?" Hugo gave a chuckle. "I showed you a lot, even if your attention was elsewhere. Might be interesting to see how good you are. Would be fun, right?"

Nadine looked doubtful, but then she turned her attention to the tablet screen again. And I could see her curiosity clearly enough; now that she wasn't obsessing over Hugo, she could see that she might actually have some interest in the game. I wondered if she might actually start to enjoy the game, without distractions. Although some instinct said that Jaycen might have had an ulterior motive in his suggestion; he was certainly making an effort to talk to Nadine. And if we all had an interest in common, I could see that it could be an interesting match.

"Sure," I said. "You'd enjoy that, wouldn't you? Or I'll go against you and Jaycen, if ..." I stammered and stopped then. Jaycen wasn't in the same league as Hugo, but he wasn't a bad player. In my own assessment, I wasn't sure which side Nadine should have been on to make it a fair match, but I'd just been trying to find an excuse for the two of them to be on the same team. But when I thought about it, I could see that he might think I was insulting his abilities. But Nadine just looked at him, and looked at me, and back at him again.

"You're on!" she said. "Who knows? You might turn me into a basketball player after all!"