Chapter Five

"You ready to see the apartments I have lined up?" Brynn asks with a large smile.

"You have no idea. I love you but your pull out does not love my back."

"I am positive we will find you something today, Olive."

We view three one-bedroom apartments, pretty close to each other. They are within my travel radius for work and around good food. All with spacious living areas and decent kitchens. I liked each one more than the last, but none has the thing that makes them feel like my home. I'm not sure if that's something I will find here in Dallas without some time and effort. The home I shared with my mom in Austin is the only real home I've ever known. It made me feel safe and comfortable.

Brynn stops me on the sidewalk after we exited the third apartment on our tour.

"Ok, so I can tell none of those apartments really spoke to your soul." She says with a playful smile.

"Oh, they were all great Brynn. I really liked the fact that one has a tub, it's just." I pause.

She raises her hand dramatically, "Never fear my dear, that is why I saved the very best for last." She says as if she is putting on a Shakespearian play.

"Oh really?" I respond trying to hide my skepticism.

"Mmm Hm. And if you like it, there will be a surprise."

"Lead the way." I half bow adding my own dramatics to our conversation.

We walk a couple blocks down from the apartment complex we just viewed to another slightly nicer complex. Brynn punches in a code at the gate and we walk up to a much taller building than the ones before. These must be more like condos than apartments. I like it so far, let's just hope I can afford it. A short elevator ride takes us to the 10th floor. Brynn unlocks 10A and turns to me before opening the door.

"You ready?"

"Yes! Open it already." I don't even try to hide my excitement.

She turns back to the door and pushes it open, throwing her hands in the air.

"And angels sing." She says announcing the beauty of the space.

"Oh My God." My mouth falls open a bit.

"I know right." Her eyes dance with excitement.

The condo has an open floor plan living room kitchen area. The light walls and dark floors make it feel clean and airy. The high ceilings and expansive walls of windows make the space seem larger. The view from the windows is decent, even in the daytime. There is a small balcony spanning the length of the windows. The kitchen is fairly large with all the new appliances and room for two bar stools, the small island that separates it from the living space. There is a door on either side of the main living space. I open the one closest to the kitchen to find a bedroom. The room could easily fit my queen size bed and maybe even a desk. It has a generous size closet and its own simple bathroom with a shower tub combo. This place blows the others out of the water, why did she even waste our time with the other three apartments? I make my way back into the living room to join Brynn.

"This door leads to a matching bed bath suite. The building provides designated parking for residents and a laundry room on the ground floor. There is also a pool open only to the residents." She states. "So, what do you think?"

"I love it! I doubt I can afford it, but I love it."

The reality of what a place like this must cost settles over me.

"Good, well on your own you probably can't afford it. But you could if you got a roommate to take that other bedroom."

"How? I don't know anyone in Dallas besides you, and I am not living with some rando." The thought of a stranger sleeping in the other room sends a small shiver through me. I have been working on my deep lack of trust in people after what happened with my high school sweetheart. Forcing myself to talk to people in the elevator at work and even inviting Evan to lunch the other day are big accomplishments for me. Moving to a new city, acclimating to a new job and now having to decide on where I'll live is a lot for anyone to handle at one time. The mere thought of someone I do not know or trust being just a door away from me and sharing some of the same living space makes my chest tighten with panic.