The Day After

15 July 2022

He sent his daughter off and went back home, preparing himself to go to work. Clayton wanted to check on his new office building, the one he's going to open at the end of the year. After settling down with his beloved partner and daughter, Clayton wanted to move his company's headquarter to Singapore so he could stay near to the two. He didn't want to let her go once again, or to leave them far away— in different continents.

He wanted to stay near wherever they are, wherever they go. So Clayton decided to expand his business as well (as his company was also well-known to everyone in the architecture and real estate field back in New York).

It was in the right timing as well.

As he parked his car, Clayton sighed and found her car was there next to his with Fransesca just walking into it. He became worried, as she just went back from the hospital at one in the morning and he knew— he knew that the woman was supposed to rest yet here she was, getting ready for her next schedule.

He quickly jumped out of his car and knocked on her window before she started her engine.

"What is it?" asked Fransesca as she stepped out from the car. "Have a rest, will you? You need one, Fransesca." he told her. "The students can wait, the lectures can be rescheduled. Your health and body can't."

The woman could only look at him with her lips shut.

"I need to go, Clayton. I'm late already." she replied coldly before she tried to close the door but again, Clayton stopped her from doing so.

"I'm sorry about last night. I'm sorry that I've hurt you. I didn't know that you called me and went to the hospital." He finally apologized to his lover. "I thought you went somewhere so I'm left with nothing but the feeling of worry. I'm worried something happened to you."

"You shouldn't have scolded me as if I'm a kid, Clay. I'm forty four, a grown up woman. I have things to do."

"I've tried to call you but your phone is unreachable. I'm guessing that you're in the middle of a meeting so I went to the hospital by myself. I don't know your driver's number and it's a sudden change of plan, what should I do?"

Clayton sighed. Everything that she said was true. He was the first to be unreachable to be contacted, and then, he became furious over her inactive phone.

"I'm sorry. Something happened back in the office and I can't stop thinking about it. It keeps on troubling my mind and I have no intention to vent it all to you—"

"But you did."

He lowered his head in regrets. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. I really do. I soon realized that it was my fault last night."

"You know, it would be great if we could be more considerate to each other. There are certain things we've never seen; a part of us, so it might take time for both of us to finally get used to it. Our habits, work-life, family... It's not like we dated in the past. We've never dated in the past. Right?"

Fransesca said to the older man, to which he responded with a nod.

"I'm trying to get to know you and I know you too. There are certain things that might clash with each other. I know."

He kissed her on her crown and smiled at her. "I'm sorry that I hurt you in the past, sweetheart. I'm sorry for venting and lashing all of my anger and exhaustion to you last night. I was blinded."

"I just want you to rest now. Will you? I've told you that I want you to stop working at two different universities and take some rest, right? I'll give you a monthly allowance as well as my card, not for Christine, but for you."

"Clay..."

"Sweetheart."

"Rest. You look weak and pale. Don't you even notice it when you put on your makeup?"

ㅤThe woman looked at him as if she begged the man not to do it today, but he did anyway. He wanted her to stop— to stay. To rest back at home until she's feeling better. Three days, minimum.

"No. Don't beg like that to me. It doesn't work. Now get out of the car, sweetheart. I'll bring your things back into the house for you."

It didn't work because she always asked for it. She always said 'only this time' and Clayton became pretty sick when he came to this particular matter now.

Fransesca nodded and did what he asked her to. She walked back into the house and Clayton brought her things back into the house, putting it into her room.

"Have you had your breakfast?"

"No..."

"What do you want to eat?"

"Bread?"

A sigh could be heard from the man as he looked at the woman who's currently changing her outfit back to a simple piyama-like set. He approached his beloved from behind and landed some kisses on her nape and shoulders, before he helped to button the top one by one while their eyes met on the reflection of the standing mirror.

"Choose something else, sweetheart. You are sick so you should eat something like porridge, perhaps? You didn't drink your medicine."

He whispered right into her ears as closed her eyes and smiled, enjoying the intimacy between them. She could feel his arms wrapped around her waist, bringing her into a warm and tight hug. A hug she would forever be grateful for.

"I know."

"Do you want to rest instead? While Bi Ella will make one for you?"

Fransesca held her breath and nodded. Slowly, the woman opened her eyes and once again, enchanted by how Clayton was standing so masculine behind her. How the man really became hers now and perhaps for the rest of her life.

The handsome face she loved to see all the time. Age was just a number and it really explains how both were such a beauty to their age. Fransesca and Clayton, aging finely like a wine. Getting more attractive as time went by. ㅤHe kissed her on the cheek and left the room to let Bi Ella, the maid, knew what she wanted. Perhaps she could buy or cook for Fransesca as she needed something to eat, yet easy to be processed by the stomach.

The woman laid her body down on the bed and covered herself with the blanket. Once again, back into her land of dreams.

"It would be great if we could buy one from that restaurant or do you want to make one?"

"I think I can make one for Miss Fransesca."

Clayton discussed the porridge that would suit Fransesca's taste with his maid before he came back into the room, only to find her fast asleep.

Fransesca was sleeping beautifully and it captured his attention. Her exhausted face when she closed her eyes could be seen so clearly to the eyes. Those lines on her face, showing her age though looks much younger. Those dark circles, showing her lack of sleep as she worked herself all the time. His fingers caressed her cheek as the woman rested and he felt peaceful to see her in that way. He felt happy, for some reason, to be able to see her rest after years of working so hard for herself and Christine.

"I'll never raise my voice again. I'll never hurt you again. I'll do whatever I can to keep you happy and safe. Fransesca, I'll do whatever I can to protect you."

Clayton kissed her on the forehead as he waited for his maid to finish the porridge and for Fransesca to wake up from her dreams.

"Sweetheart, I love you."

to be continued.