High School Visit

Start from the beginning

Clayton nodded his head. "Her mother is a professor and Christine is the smartest in the class, uncle." Vincent told him. The old man nodded his head and smiled at Christine from the rear view mirror. "Your name is so beautiful, Christine. It reminds me of three actresses that I admired when I was younger." Clayton responded. Her pupils dilated as she heard what he said. "My mother named me after three actresses, Uncle!" she replied.

"What a coincidence!" Vincent responded when he listened to the conversation they're currently having at the moment.

"Uncle, my house is in an apartment complex at Holland Village. It's The Hill Residence. You can drop me off in front of the entrance lobby," Christine told the old man, not knowing that the man who she called as uncle and who drove her back home was none other than her father. Her father whom she never knew before. "Noted, Christine! Thank you for informing me of your address beforehand or else, I might send you to our home instead." he joked.

The three continued their conversation with light topics and jokes exchanged. Laughs and giggles could be heard in the black Mercedes Benz car, the latest one. Clayton continued making stupid jokes which cause the two best friends to laugh along their way back home.

As he drove and stole some looks at the younger girl, it definitely reminded him of the woman that filled his heart. She looks pretty similar to Fransesca and he couldn't lie that the girl brought some memories from the past back into his mind.

"Christine, it's funny how your face reminds me of someone in the past. A good friend of mine and a student. She looks just like you. From your face to how you talk. You're really an epitome of her." he told her.

"Really? What's her name, uncle? May I know?" Vincent responded instead of Christine, which caused the lass to laugh. "It's a secret. Your father might still remember the name but no, don't ask him!" he joked around. "Was she pretty, uncle?" asked Christine.

A smile curved on his lips as he heard that particular question from Christine. "Yes, very pretty. She's super smart and everyone loves her. She walks like a princess and if she passed by, everyone's eyes would be on her." Clayton Nicholas Kingsley explained the sweet and beautiful memory of Fransesca in the past, in which he unknowingly told his own daughter regarding her mother.

"Christine's mother is also pretty, just like her! Uncle, can't you just marry her mother so we can be siblings?" asked Vincent. The absurd question brought laughter to both Clayton and Christine. "Are you sure that Christine wanted to be your sibling?" Clayton teased him.

Christine answered with a firm head shake. "No."

Clayton laughed when he heard the answer that Christine gave to Vincent, his nephew. She never thought that a calm child such as Christine would have this kind of humor, which also reminds him of Fransesca in the past. Her jokes in the past would light up the whole class vibes and everyone would enjoy the rest of the lectures with a happy heart.

"Christine, are you going to apply for Nanyang All Girls High School?"

"Yes, uncle. I want to go to La Rosey but it's so expensive. Though my grandpa could actually afford it, I believe that it would burden my mother badly. Nanyang is also a good school."

He parked the car as they finally arrived in front of the building and Clayton looked at the backseat to see Christine, adoring her beauty once again. "I hope only the best for your study. Good luck and I'll see you later, okay?"

Christine nodded her head and bowed. "Thank you, uncle. Thank you for driving me back home. I'll pay for your kindness one day." she thanked him and waved her hand to Vincent who's also smiling at her. Christine then jumped out of the car and shut the door closed as she walked up the stairs into the lobby door. Before entering, she decided to tie her lace.

"Uncle, aren't we going back home?"

"We need to make sure that she went inside already before we left."

Then, a figure he didn't expect to see appeared. His heart stopped and his pupils dilated when he saw Christine hugging that figure tightly. They shared everything, from personality to looks.

"Oh! That's her mother. I think we can leave now, uncle? Aunt Fransesca is there already." said Vincent. He didn't realize that his uncle was in shock to see the view in front of his own eyes. The one he drove back home and talked with was none other but Fransesca's little daughter. That daughter he imagined days ago... she really suits Henry's explanation.

Everything looks like her mother. The real splitting image of Fransesca Adelaidine.

"Can't we really do something though, uncle? I wish I could study at La Rosey along with Christine.." he innocently asked her uncle. "I'm pretty sure her parents could afford her tuition, Vincent. Perhaps they don't want her to go abroad?" he responded while his eyes still followed the two before disappearing into the building.

He rested his back on the car seat and closed his eyes. Now, his heart felt something he couldn't explain. "But she's a single mother, Aunt Fransesca, I mean. Christine has lived only with her mother since she was born. I know that maybe Christine doesn't want to leave her mother alone here, but education is also important, right?" Vincent voiced his opinion and concerns. An innocent little boy indeed.

'No wonder that kid looks exactly the same as Fransesca. Her face, her humor, her personality, her way of talking... and her name. The three actresses we admired in the past. You're his daughter. You're raised by an angel indeed.'

"But what..? Repeat!"

"Which part, uncle?"

"The one you said about Aunt Fransesca!"

"A single mother?"

He went silent.

'Can I try to love you closely again, Fransesca?'

to be continued.