Coffee Tastes Bitter

Start from the beginning

He looked up at me through his long eyelashes. "Well, it is to me, so deal with it."

I was going to say something snappy but caught my tongue, and instead crossed my arms and calmly said, "Alright then, Monty," I added through gritted teeth.

He scowled at me and handed the cup over to his coworker. "One coffee something chocolate."

"A dark chocolate mocha!" I exclaimed irritatedly, "Can't you get anything right?"

He just rolled his eyes and said, "Look, I didn't want this job, but money's been a little tight and since you told me to get a job some part of my brain decided it would be a good idea to listen to you, and that's how I landed up in this suckfest."

I gasped indignantly.

"Starbucks is not a suckfest!" I said, throwing my hands in the air, "It is the Colchis of coffee shops. It's coffee is legendary. You can't just-"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm sure that sounds pretty cool in your head," he said, dismissing me with a wave of his hand, "But I'm just here so I can get money and then quit as fast as possible. I don't even like coffee anyway."

My brain did a double take. "What did you say?"

Before Aiden could find up with a sassy remark, the man behind me yelled,

"Oye, if you two lovebirds are gonna argue take it to the nest, will ya? Some of us want our drinks today."

My cheeks flared up and so did Aiden's. "Sir, we're not- he's not- I'm not-" I spluttered.

"Just move already!"

Taken aback by the man's utter impatience, I shuffled along, and barely caught Aiden's mumbled 'real eloquent'.

Once out of earshot, I grumbled into my phone, "Can you believe him?"

"Oh my god, babe."

"I know he's so- rrrrgh!"

"No I think you've got your best seller right there."

"I mean-what?" I said, confused.

"That's your best seller! He doesn't like coffee, you love coffee."

I scrunched up my eyebrows, still confused. "All I'm hearing are the differences between us I don't get what you're trying to say."

Brenda sighed and I could almost see her roll her eyes. "You daft idiot, You need to make the most of this. Teach him. Teach him about coffee. About your love for it. I can just see it already," Brenda paused for dramatic effect, " 'The Barista who didn't like Coffee', available in a bookstore near you. "

"Brenda that's...a brilliant idea actually," I said.

"Yeah, I know," she said, "Now get started on this novel and don't forget to dedicate it to me, Kay?" And hung up.

I turned around and looked at Aiden, who had gone back to his fake-smile-dealing self.

Could I show him the wonders of coffee? Did I want to? A long stare at my blank MS Word document later, I decided I was desperate enough to give it a try. I typed down the basic points to note like I always do before starting any literary endeavor.

Characters: Ay oung budding writer with a thirst for the truth. And caffeine. And a disgusting Australian ogre with enough beer breath to set fire to Grand Central Station.