Coffee Tastes Bitter

Start from the beginning

"Are you?"

I snapped out of my trance, "Sorry, what?"

"I said, are you at Starbucks right now?"

"Yeah," I sighed forlornly, "and you'll never in a million years guess who your replacement is."

"Wow, those fuckers already replaced me? Who is it? Is it Rebecca? That witch has been out for my job ever since she set her beady black eyes on Stan."

"What- no," I said, "and I don't think Rebecca is Stan's type."

"I don't think anyone with a vagina is Stan's type."

I laughed and said, "Stop interrupting me! Anyway, right now I am sitting ten feet away from a green-apron-wearing Aiden Montgomery."

Brenda gasped on the other line, "No way."

"Yes, way. He even showered and stuff."

"Oh my god, that sucks major balls," she said giggling.

I rolled my eyes as I watched Aiden take a cute brunette's order and wink at her.

"It does. I've been here twenty minutes already and I haven't mustered up the guts to order something."

"You wimp, what's the worst he can do? Misspell your name?"

"He spat his lip ring out at me."

"Oh my god," Brenda said, her voice fading into muffled fits of laughter, " You know, there's something oddly kinky about that."

"Brenda!" I half whispered, half yelled. She just laughed harder and said, "Okay, chicken breast, here's what you're gonna do," she said, and I wasn't sure if her tone of seriousness was real or not, "You're going to go up to him and order a dark chocolate mocha, and I am going to stay on the line until you do. For moral support."

I laughed and there was an empty silence on the other end. "Wait, you're serious?"

"Duh. Now go I don't have all day, I've only packed my bras so far."

I looked up nervously at the counter and then at Paulo, who was peacefully snoozing at my feet. 'He's just another dickwad, you've dealt with several of those in high school.' I told myself.

Taking a deep breath, I got up, pulling my T-shirt straight, and strode boldly towards the counter. Unfortunately, my momentum led me to stub my foot on the edge of it and I doubled over in pain.

"Oww!" I exclaimed through clenched teeth. "Did you walk into the counter again?" Brenda's muffled voice came from the phone clasped in my palm,"You clumsy oaf. "

"Shut up!"

"I didn't say anything, weirdo."

I looked up to see Aiden staring down at me with annoyance. I cleared my throat and said, "I would like a tall White Chocolate Mocha, please."

Aiden raised his eyebrows but said nothing. He punched a few numbers in his cash register and said, "That will be four seventy five."

I handed him the cash and he picked up a cup. "Uh, aren't you going to ask me my name?" I said as he started writing on it.

"What? Oh, no, I know your name."

I leaned forward and said "My name's not '6-C'," reading what he'd scribbled onto the plastic cup.