the heart thief - |14|

Start from the beginning

"About an hour ago," he replied. "I'm exhausted and all I want is to sleep in my own bed, but I couldn't miss Shane's game." He looked at Millie, explaining, "He holds grudges if you don't show up."

She looked puzzled. "But surely he would understand that you just got off a flight?"

Isaac and I couldn't help but laugh at her comment. He responded, "Shane isn't the understanding type. It's either you do what he wants, or he holds it against you forever."

I added, "I once forgot to wish him a happy birthday and he didn't speak to me for two months." I enjoyed the way her beautiful eyes widened and her heart-shaped mouth pursed together. It made me grin. "So, try not to let him down."

"When have I ever let anyone down?" She tilted her head to look at Isaac. "How's your mum?"

"She's fine. It wasn't that serious so she sent me back."

"His sister probably chased him away," I interjected.

Millie was curious. "You have a sister?"

Isaac nodded. "Oh, shit. I didn't tell you anything about me and we've hung out a few times. Yes, I have a sister, older—"

"Also reckless," I interrupted. "Scarier, meaner, aggressive, and terrible at everything. She used to bully us a lot when we were kids." I chuckled. "We called her boss lady because she would boss us around with our friends. Thinking about it now, she really behaved like a gang leader, didn't she, Isaac?"

She laughed. "Does she still boss you around?"

He shook his head. "No, thankfully. Kim mellowed out a lot since then. She's actually cool now."

I snorted. "Yeah, until she gets mad at you for something. Then she turns into Boss Lady again."

"She honestly sounds amazing."

I laughed. "Of course, you'd like her."

She shrugged as the football players walked out onto the field and Shane activated his game face, looking intimidating and focused. The crowd cheered as he waved and the camera followed his every move.

Isaac snorted, watching Shane's confident demeanor on screen. "He must think he's the king of the world with all that adoration. Imagine what that does to his ego."

I gave him a knowing look. "Jealous much?"

"Hell no," he replied. "If I wanted to be in a career where everything I did was scrutinized on the internet and people tore me apart for clicks, I would have pursued that path."

Millie chimed in, "Yeah, that kind of fame sucks. There's no privacy and people get to say whatever they want about you."

"I have to agree."

Fuck.

I gripped the armrests of my seat as Millie's attention shifted to Brent's voice. Her face lit up with excitement, and my own fell with disappointment. Isaac elbowed me, and I reluctantly released my grip, relaxing my fingers.

Isaac turned to Brent and greeted him. "Hey, you made it."

Brent replied, "Yes, I thought it would be nice to come and support."