Chapter Forty Nine

Edward and I walked into our first period together and instantly drew attention. We had been avoiding each other like the plague for the entire first semester, now his hand was grasping mine and he carried my books. When I glanced back I couldn't help but notice the smug smirk that had stolen his stoic mask. Got him. Ms. Hanley's English room was a buzz until she walked in. I would kill to have Edward's ability to hear the thoughts in the room now, though I could guess most if not all were speculating what had happened over the weekend.

We had done exams before Christmas break, making this week the easiest of the year. Ms.Hanley turned the lights off and powered up the projector, of course we were still going to watch something educational, so in went The Crucible to prepare us for the next semester's learning module. Edward and I scooched our desks together and soon our arms became tangled on the desk as I laid my head on his shoulder. "I hate this movie." Edward whispered into my ear, his breath cold against my skin.

"I would too if I had to watch it a million times as a sophomore." I flicked my eyes from the opening credits to his face, a teasing smile growing on my lips involuntarily.

"About fifty you goofball." Edward laughed, laying his head on mine. "And you try to stay awake this hour."

"Not fair, you're always awake." I poked his arm before lacing my fingers together with his.

He scoffed in return and shot back a quickly whispered answer as the opening credits began to roll. "And I will be in misery for it."

"Dramatic." I rolled my eyes playfully before settling in to watch the movie.

"I told you!" Edward threw his hands up defensively as he walked me to choir.

"Oh my god, I had no idea a movie could make me wish I was sleepwalking." I groaned as we stopped at my locker to swap my English binder for my French.

"I should have put money on you not enjoying that movie." He shook his head, almost in disbelief but mostly in defeat.

"I didn't fall asleep though, so jokes on you." I stuck my tongue out. "I suffered out of spite."

"That you did." He laughed and took my French binder from my hands despite my protests. "I'll keep this until next period."

"Fine." I grabbed his shirt and pulled myself up to him in the middle of the busy music hall. "Then I'll keep this." With a quick and sure movement I pecked a kiss on his lips in front of everyone.

"Oh, you're evil." Edward laughed as I pulled away, the hall's regular drone ticking up just a notch to a dull roar as excitement and rumors began to spread around us.

"I learned from the best." I smiled as I backed away to the choir doors. Rose. The look he shot me as I closed the door told me everything I needed to know. He had heard my thoughts, and I would pay for it later. Bring it. I thought cheekily as I spun and made my way to my seat in the Mezzo Soprano section of the choir.

When choir was finally over I bounded out the door and found Edward lounging against the wall waiting for me. I felt the grin grow on my face as I crossed the hall to him. "Is the day almost over? I want to go home." I propped my chin on his bicep and smiled up at him.

"Not even close." He laughed, throwing an arm over my shoulder and spinning me to face the direction of our French class.

"School is so boring though." I groaned, weaving my arm around his back as we walked.

"But you only graduate once." I got the sense he could feel the look I gave him because his mouth broke into a smile and he amended his statement. "As a human, and for the first time."