Chapter Thirteen

When I finally woke that next morning I only had half an hour to get ready, but Edward was still there. He looked at me with great curiosity on his face as I pulled back to take in the scene. "What?" I laughed lightly and rubbed the sleep from my eyes.

"Your dreams, do you have that one frequently?" He sat up and stared at me as I pulled myself from my bed and attempted to stretch my leg that was nearly healed. "It's so vivid but it was almost like I couldn't see all of it."

"Yeah... I've had it a couple times, it's not always exactly the same but the concept of it usually is." I shrugged my shoulders and made my way over to my dresser, pulling out a black strappy tank top, a pair of ripped jeans, and a gray plaid button up. "Now turn around, I don't care if you have been alive 100 years and seen a million titties, mine will not join the list today." He looked at me with amusement, and I waved him to turn around. Slowly he plopped his face into my pillow where he laughed with his arms crossed. I quickly changed my pants so I could sit on the window seat as I changed my shirt into the tank top. Once I had gone that far with my outfit I gave Edward the okay and he flipped around and smiled at me.

"In all my life I don't think I have ever met someone quite like you."

"If you say I'm not like other girls I am going to have no choice but to kill you. I don't know exactly how but I'm sure I could find a way."

"Noted."

"Better be." I pulled my flannel on and watched Edward as he rose from my bed.

"You aren't worried about your dad finding me up here?"

"He'll be passed out until noon." I looked at the date and nodded my head. "It's my mom's birthday, honestly I would be lucky if he remembered I was up here." I avoided Edward's gaze as I slid my bag closer to me and began shoving my school books inside. He could hear what was on my mind all he wanted but he would not see how my face betrayed me in this moment. I refused to allow him to see how much pain I was in, this was my one solace. Suddenly Edward was beside me, his hand slowly grabbed mine and stopped me from placing my final book into my bag. His other hand slowly grabbed the side of my face and softly turned me to face him.

"Ara, you never have to hide your pain from me." His words felt like a blanket, thick and warm, like I could wrap myself in every word. Without saying a word I reached forward and touched his face tentatively with my hand.

Kiss me.

His inhale was sharp and suddenly his lips were on mine, and it was all that mattered. The kiss lingered on my lips even after he pulled away and walked across the room. "We have to get to school, we have a history test." He grabbed my stuff and disappeared to where I could only assume was the car. I sighed and made my way down my stairs, filled Maddie's food bowl, set a cup of water and some ibuprofen next to my father, and out the door I went. As soon as I had the door locked behind me Edward pulled up, he was wearing a different outfit and he had placed my bookbag in the back seat. I climbed into the car and we drove in silence to the school. He helped me with my books to English class at the beginning of the day, handed me off to Gi who walked me to science, and then math droned on again with no Cullens in my class. By the time I finally made it to lunch Edward was nowhere to be seen at the lunch table. When I asked the others about it none of them had an answer but Alice assured me he would be in History today.

Sure enough there he was, sitting in his chair right by mine, but he did not speak a word, instead we went through the test without even a single glance. Once we reached the end of the hour, with only two hours left in the school day, Edward pulled me aside in the hall. "Meet me behind the school in fifteen minutes." And just like that he was gone again.