CHAPTER TWELVE

Começar do início

Apparently, she was a well-known healer from Essos that Qoren heard of and Valyria was grateful for that. Even though it was her first time in the birthing chamber, the midwives hired by House Lannister did little to prepare her for what was to come. But Dora was always blunt and completely honest with her.

Nodding, Valyria - although reluctantly - handed over her son to Dora for her to rid him of the blood and other birth fluids. Suddenly very aware of how dreadful she looked, covered in a thin layer of sweat, clad in a white nightgown stained with blood, Valyria felt the need to cover herself up.

Feeling Qoren's intense gaze on her, she said, "This is why men are not allowed in the birthing chamber," she made a poor attempt at a joke. "They will never look at their wives the same after seeing them like this."

"I assure you, had I just spent half a day giving birth, I would have looked worse," Qoren reassured her, brushing away a silver lock of hair that stuck to her forehead due to the sweat. "And even now, you are the most beautiful woman I've seen."

She rolled her eyes at him with fondness and allowed the midwives to help her clean up the blood from her lower body. Qoren offered her some modesty by turning his attention to their son instead, probably sensing her discomfort. Valyria was offered a new nightgown.

Once seated in her bed, Dora placed the babe in her arms again. Meanwhile, Qoren disappeared to fetch Elara and Cyrenna who somehow managed to stay awake - too worried about their mother and unborn sibling to fall asleep. About halfway through her labours, Valyria also sent Cecily and Serra to keep the twins company.

Looking down at the little boy in her arms, Valyria could immediately tell he took after his father the most; another Prince of Dorne with dark features and in a way Valyria was glad that he'd not look exactly like her, fearing that the dornish wouldn't accept a ruler with Valyrian features.

When the door opened to reveal her daughters entering alongside Qoren, she was struck by how quickly time had passed. It was over seven summers since she had been holding the two of them like this. The twins wasted little time running over to the bed, "Qoren said it's a boy," Elara said with an excited grin.

"We have a little brother?" Cyrenna asked, her tone more gentle like she didn't wish to frighten the child.

"Yes, you do," Valyria chuckled as the two climbed up on the bed.

"He is so tiny, like Aegon and Helaena were," Elara noted.

"More like Egg," Cyrenna corrected. "Helaena was smaller."

"What's his name?" Elara then asked.

Valyria looked over at Qoren. The two of them had discussed several names for both boys and girls without settling on any. "I think that is for your mother to decide," Qoren told the girls. "After all, she is the one who has carried him for over eight moons."

Thinking for a few seconds, a name came to her, "Cassian," she offered, gaze shifting between her husband and daughters. "I quite like that name. There has never been a Cassian Martell, has there?"

"No, there hasn't, but I think it's about time we have one," Qoren grinned widely, looking down at little Cassian.

Out of the corner of her eye, Valyria noticed Elara yawning and saw the way both girls looked ready to fall asleep at the spot. "Now I believe it's time for the two of you to return to bed," she told them. "It's been a very long day for all of us."

Reluctantly, they said their goodnights, kissing their mother on the cheek and their new little brother on the head before Qoren escorted them out again. He quickly returned and retook his seat next to her. "You look ready to fall asleep yourself," Qoren told her bluntly.