You decide to call b/f/n and explain the whole situation to her. She's silent on the other end of the line when you finish.

Finally, she says, "I'm sorry, y/n. But there are other guys out there. You'll find someone, trust me."

You appreciate her trying to make you feel better, but her words honestly make you feel worse. You don't want any other guys. You want c/n.

At school the next day, you give c/n a feeble smile as you drop into your seat next to him. You're both in Biology together, and are lab partners. And, unfortunately, your class has been working on a lab for the past week, which means that you have no choice but to speak to him.

"Have a good morning so far?" c/n asks as he helps you set up the lab.

"Wonderful," you mutter, unable to help the bitterness that seeps into your tone.

C/n flashes you a concerned look. "I feel like that was at least a little bit sarcastic," he says. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, I just..." you trail off, knowing that you can't tell him the real reason you're upset. You can't confess your feelings to him when you know that he doesn't feel the same way. "I'm just tired."

"Oh. Okay." C/n starts the lab, and you assist him, quiet as a mouse. It almost feels as if your tongue just won't work anymore, not around him.

Suddenly, c/n turns to you and says, "Y/n, I think that we should go on a date."

Your heart stops. His words replay in your mind again and again, and joy fills you to the brim. He wants to go on a date with you? Maybe the whole Amanda thing was to throw you off, to make you jealous. Well, it worked, but now...

You smile at c/n. "C/n, I-"

"I mean, maybe the key to winning Amanda back is to make her jealous. If she thinks that we're dating, then..." A dreamy look crosses c/n's face, illuminating it.

Your heart shatters. You feel like you can barely breathe, like someone is wrapping their arms around your chest as hard as they can, refusing to let you go. Tears prick your eyes, but you refuse to let them fall. Not in front of c/n.

"I don't know..." you say, unsure. Truthfully, fake dating c/n is at the bottom of your to-do list, but he's looking at you with such hope in his eyes, that you can't bear to say no. "I mean, I guess a couple dates can't hurt..."

C/n grins. You hate that grin, hate how it makes you feel, when you know that you'll never be able to call it yours. "Thank you so much, y/n. How can I ever repay you?"

"Just..." You force a smile. "Just be happy. With Amanda."

C/n gives you one last smile, and then the two of you turn back to your lab. A small smile stays on his lips, while your lips are turned down in a slight frown.

"Ha!" c/n cheers. "Another strike!"

You and c/n were on your first fake date, at a local bowling alley. C/n seems pretty into the game, while you can barely muster the energy to roll the ball.